cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Best way to implement SIP Options Pings on a SIP Trunk

SHANE FREESE
Level 1
Level 1

I wanted to see if anyone had suggestions on the best way to configure SIP Options Pings.

Typically I would configure them per dial-peer.  However, I really want to do it per destination IP address.  I do not want a SIP Options ping for every single dial-peer being sent out every X seconds.  

Example:

In my case I have 4 SIP trunks in the same CUBE.  Each pointing to a different destination IP.  There are 6 dial-peers per SIP trunk.  I really do not want 24 option pings going out every X seconds.  I guess I've never actually did a debug to see how many pings are going out at a time but I am assuming it sends one for each dial-peer or does it?

If I am correct in my assumption, is there way to only send one ping per destination IP and if that single IP goes unresponsive then all 6 dial-peers go down?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello,

The OOD option ping is sent per dial-peer to the destination.

Restrictions

The Cisco Unified Border Element OOD Options ping feature can only be configured at the VoIP Dial-peer level.

All dial peers start in an active (not busied out) state on a router boot or reboot.

If a dial-peer has both an outbound proxy and a session target configured, the OOD options ping is sent to the outbound proxy address first.

Though multiple dial-peers may point to the same SIP server IP address, an independent OOD options ping is sent for each dial-peer.

If a SIP server is configured as a DNS hostname, OOD Options pings are sent to all the returned addresses until a response is received.

Configuration for Cisco Unified Border Element OOD and TDM Gateway OOD are different, but can co-exist.

//Suresh

Please rate all the useful posts.

//Suresh Please rate all the useful posts.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Hello,

Out of Dialog Option Ping can only be configured at outbound dial-peers. but In-dialog Option can be enabled  at global level.

Please refer this guide.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/ios/voice/cube/configuration/guide/15_0/vb_15_0_Book/vb-gw-sipsip.html#wp1403782

Hope this helps.

//Suresh

Yes, I know all of that.

What I really want to know:

If I have 6 dial-peers all pointing to the same target.  All 6 have the Out of Dialog option ping set.  Does the CUBE send out 6 pings, or just 1?

Hello,

The OOD option ping is sent per dial-peer to the destination.

Restrictions

The Cisco Unified Border Element OOD Options ping feature can only be configured at the VoIP Dial-peer level.

All dial peers start in an active (not busied out) state on a router boot or reboot.

If a dial-peer has both an outbound proxy and a session target configured, the OOD options ping is sent to the outbound proxy address first.

Though multiple dial-peers may point to the same SIP server IP address, an independent OOD options ping is sent for each dial-peer.

If a SIP server is configured as a DNS hostname, OOD Options pings are sent to all the returned addresses until a response is received.

Configuration for Cisco Unified Border Element OOD and TDM Gateway OOD are different, but can co-exist.

//Suresh

Thanks, guess I missed that.

Doesn't that seem terribly inefficient to anyone?  

I'll stand behind you on this one for now.  Yes, it seems like IOS should consolidate its OOD OPTIONS PINGs to single host:port combinations, regardless of how many different Dial Peers it exists on.

Here is what I propose as a feature request.

Allow multiple sip-server entries under the sip-ua.  Then allow the setting of the options ping per sip-server.  Then if the option ping fails all dial-peers with that sip-server destination would then busy out.

Seems simple enough to me and makes it much more efficient.