Views
Helpful
Replies

Bypass callmanager to make calls over PSTN

shraavan07
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Our setup has all the Phones register with CallManager. We also have CME deployed on all Routers at remote sites, so if remote sites loose connection to HQ, they can still make and receive calls using CME. My question is, how can I get a Phone to call out from remote office using PSTN at that local site. I still want to be able to use inter-site dialing using 4 digits. I also want other offices to call this perticular office using 4 digits, so I want this phone to stay registred on CallManager, but I want this phone to use PSTN instead of going through CallManager to make outside calls. Is this possible?

Thank You,

Hardik

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

You need to implement Calling Search Spaces and Partitions. You assign different CSS'es to the extensions (Line CSS's). Next you assign Route Patterns to the CSS'es (the same Route Pattern can exist in multiple Partitions which are can be accessed via the different Line CSS'es), the Route Pattern points to a Route List which in turn points to a Route Group which in turn holds the router to be selected (or specific ports on the router). I myself am using MGCP, with different ports in different Route Groups. I believe this is also possible with H.323.

You could also prepend the matched Route Pattern with a prefix to be able to match different dials peers on the H.323 router which might be the simplest solution (so: 2 CSS'es for the different extensions, 2 different Route Patterns with the different prefixes and the same Route List and Route Group. Routing is then done via different dial peers).

HTH

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

a.gooding
Level 5
Level 5

Hi there

Of course I'm assuming you have cme/srst. You will have to use partitions and calling search spaces to get this working.

Basically, put the phones in a CSS that can access only that remote router for pstn calling . Ensure you have the rtr added as a gateway, either mgcp or h323.

Then under route patterns add the dial pattern, the partition that only those phones can reach and then the gateway/ route list.

Of course on the gateway you will also have to do some configurations.

So,

Let's say ext 2000 is hq and ext 3000 is site b.

Create a new pt called, let's say, B-pstn.

Create a new CSS called, let's say B-CSS

Put the phones in site b under the new CSS you created.

Add the gateway , either mgcp or h323. For small sites I like mgcp. Add the router and make sure everything is fine. If you don't know about mgcp or h323 search around and you will see some sample configs.

Once added, you can then go to the route pattern configuration.

Add a new route pattern and enter the dial pattern you desire, select B-pstn and select the router you added (you will have to create hunt groups then lists if mgcp. If h323 may configure the same as well for extra redundancy

Once that is done place the call and if everything is setup correctly, the user can place the call using their own pstn line versus the hq lines.cyou can also setup to balance lines accordingly, so if all ports are busy on the local side it can still go through hq.

NOTE. If you are NOT familiar with CUCM configurations you can cause some issues so be very aware. A certified consultant can setup this up for you and maybe show you how it's done so you can deploy later on for new sites.

Hi Hardik,

If you can do it easily.

1) Add your CME router as MGCP or H323 gateway in CUCM.

2) USE LRG concept for call routing

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-8363

3) You call will go from local gateway router.

Note :- Phone will be regestered to CUCM but calls will go from local gateway only.

Regards

Ronak Patel

Please rate helpful posts.

Regards Ronak Patel Rate all helpful post by clicking stars below the answer.

shraavan07
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks guys, I will try this and hopefully I will have something working.

shraavan07
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Guys,

I created Gateway using h.323. I have Route Group, list, and patterns. Now my question is how can I get different phone to associate with different Voice ports. For example I want ext 100 to use voice port 1/0/14, 101 to use voice port 1/0/15 to make outside calls. Is this possible? Since the phones are still registered with CM, do they look at Dial-Plan in CME or no?

You need to implement Calling Search Spaces and Partitions. You assign different CSS'es to the extensions (Line CSS's). Next you assign Route Patterns to the CSS'es (the same Route Pattern can exist in multiple Partitions which are can be accessed via the different Line CSS'es), the Route Pattern points to a Route List which in turn points to a Route Group which in turn holds the router to be selected (or specific ports on the router). I myself am using MGCP, with different ports in different Route Groups. I believe this is also possible with H.323.

You could also prepend the matched Route Pattern with a prefix to be able to match different dials peers on the H.323 router which might be the simplest solution (so: 2 CSS'es for the different extensions, 2 different Route Patterns with the different prefixes and the same Route List and Route Group. Routing is then done via different dial peers).

HTH

shraavan07
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you for your help guys. I got the problem fixed. Here is what I did.

I have h323 Gateway. I created Partition / CSS / Route Pattern. Created route pattern with distinctive character to differentiate from other route pattern. Created dial-peer rules on gateway to specific port, for example voice port 1/0/15. This worked like a charm.

Thank you once again,

Hardik