Views
Helpful
Replies

CAC and locations

astrohmeier
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have a costumer with two locations. On one location is an ARC server installed but there are Attendant consoles on both locations.

I have configured locations to use AAR. The bandwith is set to 1 because its cheaper for the costumer to use the PSTN then the WAN.

For the ARC CTI Ports and CTI Route Points I configured an extra locaction with unlimited bandwith because ARC do not work if the call from the CTI Route Point is routed over the WAN.

It do not work. It seems that he tries to use the PSTN but I do not configure the AAR Group and the AAR Destination Mask on the CTI Ports and CTI Route Points.

How do AAR and locations work? Do it use the WAN if the called number is in an location with unlimited bandwith and the calling number is restricted in bandwith?

thanks for your help Achim

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Aaron Harrison
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

Locations works by having a budget (in K) for each location. If a call leaves or enters a location, then it is counted against that budget. This happens for both locations that a call traverses.

Fore example, a call from LocA to LocB. If it's G729, then 24k will be deducted from both LocA and LocB.

In your case what is happening is that even though the ARC location has unlimited BW, the 'other' location (i.e. the phone or whatever) does have a bandwidth restriction. As that site's banwidth is exceeded, AAR activates. This is so that if (for example) you have a HO with 1Mb EF traffic, and a remote office with 100K EF bandwidth, that the smaller of the two being exceeded activates AAR.

You could remove the AAR Group from the ARC devices, that would prevent the AAR activating - however the call would still be rejected as the remote office would still hit it's 1K bandwidth limit and be rejected instead of routed via AAR.

Aaron

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Aaron Harrison
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

Locations works by having a budget (in K) for each location. If a call leaves or enters a location, then it is counted against that budget. This happens for both locations that a call traverses.

Fore example, a call from LocA to LocB. If it's G729, then 24k will be deducted from both LocA and LocB.

In your case what is happening is that even though the ARC location has unlimited BW, the 'other' location (i.e. the phone or whatever) does have a bandwidth restriction. As that site's banwidth is exceeded, AAR activates. This is so that if (for example) you have a HO with 1Mb EF traffic, and a remote office with 100K EF bandwidth, that the smaller of the two being exceeded activates AAR.

You could remove the AAR Group from the ARC devices, that would prevent the AAR activating - however the call would still be rejected as the remote office would still hit it's 1K bandwidth limit and be rejected instead of routed via AAR.

Aaron

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

Hi Aaron,

thats not that what I wanted to hear, but now I know why it do not work.

I changed the configuration in CUCM in another way without locations and AAR.

thanks Achim