cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CAC Not limiting bandwidth or phone calls between locations.

Mike Bowers
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, I'm running a test set up with a couple locations and attempting to make several calls between them to test the CAC bandwidth limits.

The bandwidth limit between Location A and Location B is set to 50kbps.

3 Phones 7940s are in Location A and 1 CIPC is in location B (When looking at Devices > Phones, it shows their respective Location A DP and Location B DP.  Regions are set up and G.729 is used between the locations.  I know regions are working, because when I look at call statistics, it shows the G.729 8kpbs used instead of the 711.

I can place 4,5,6 or however many calls between the two locations and they all go through. I'm not sure why I'm not getting the "Bandwidth limit exceeded" and Location just isn't working. I've tried deleting and re-creating the locations.

Any thoughts? Thank you very much for your consideration.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello Harvey,

First of all LCAC and E-LCAC require 24 kbps for a single G.729 call.

Your are running CUCM 9.x which introduced Enhanced Location CAC.

E-LCAC employs LBM service and uses Call Treatment When No LBM Available CUCM service parameter  to decide how to proceed if LBM is not available.

For a fresh install LBM service is down and the latter param is set to Allow Calls.

So please navigate to Serviceability and check if Cisco Location Bandwidth Manager service is activated and running.

Once you confirm that:

1. SSH to your server and issue file tail activelog cm/trace/lbm/sdl * recent to see requests for bandwidth deduction in real time,
  2. Make a test call and you should see something like:

00117318.001 |20:12:09.240 |AppInfo  |LBMServer - Received from CallManager:

msg = {
  messageId = (881)
  msgkey = ()
  nofwd = (0)
  choice = (reservationReq)
  reservationReq = (
    transId = (12071793471388647784)
    seqNum = (0)
    choice = (reserve)
    reserve = (
      sideA = (
        loc = (TEST1)
        fs_id = (StandAloneCluster:27335818)
        ext = ()
      )
      sideB = (
        loc = (TEST2)
        fs_id = (StandAloneCluster:27335819)
        ext = ()
      )
      <snip/>
      a_bw = (24)

This is a request to deduct 24 kbps from the audio pool for a call between locations TEST1 and TEST2.

Next it will show you the actual deduction (160 kbps audio pool has - 24 kbps for a G.729 accounts for 136 kbps left):

00117323.010 |20:12:12.350 |AppInfo  |LBM: RES_REC add Edge TEST1->TEST2. Left=136, Calls=1
00117323.011 |20:12:12.350 |AppInfo  |LBM: RES_REC add Edge TEST2->TEST1. Left=136, Calls=1

Let me know if that helps.

-Mateusz

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Mateusz Pagacz
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Harvey, what CUCM version are you running? Can you attach a screenshot depicting your Location config?

-Mateusz

Hi Mateusz and thanks for the consideration!

I'm running 9.1.

I've attached three screenshots.

One of the locations (Madison and Testland have 8kbps bandwidth. I lowered it even more and it makes no difference on calls I noticed, this low one call shouldn't even go through).

One of the regions (Using 8kbps G.729 between Testland location and Madison location).

One of the phones ( CICP in Testland, calling up all three phones in Madison, 4+ calls connected and on hold)

Hello Harvey,

First of all LCAC and E-LCAC require 24 kbps for a single G.729 call.

Your are running CUCM 9.x which introduced Enhanced Location CAC.

E-LCAC employs LBM service and uses Call Treatment When No LBM Available CUCM service parameter  to decide how to proceed if LBM is not available.

For a fresh install LBM service is down and the latter param is set to Allow Calls.

So please navigate to Serviceability and check if Cisco Location Bandwidth Manager service is activated and running.

Once you confirm that:

1. SSH to your server and issue file tail activelog cm/trace/lbm/sdl * recent to see requests for bandwidth deduction in real time,
  2. Make a test call and you should see something like:

00117318.001 |20:12:09.240 |AppInfo  |LBMServer - Received from CallManager:

msg = {
  messageId = (881)
  msgkey = ()
  nofwd = (0)
  choice = (reservationReq)
  reservationReq = (
    transId = (12071793471388647784)
    seqNum = (0)
    choice = (reserve)
    reserve = (
      sideA = (
        loc = (TEST1)
        fs_id = (StandAloneCluster:27335818)
        ext = ()
      )
      sideB = (
        loc = (TEST2)
        fs_id = (StandAloneCluster:27335819)
        ext = ()
      )
      <snip/>
      a_bw = (24)

This is a request to deduct 24 kbps from the audio pool for a call between locations TEST1 and TEST2.

Next it will show you the actual deduction (160 kbps audio pool has - 24 kbps for a G.729 accounts for 136 kbps left):

00117323.010 |20:12:12.350 |AppInfo  |LBM: RES_REC add Edge TEST1->TEST2. Left=136, Calls=1
00117323.011 |20:12:12.350 |AppInfo  |LBM: RES_REC add Edge TEST2->TEST1. Left=136, Calls=1

Let me know if that helps.

-Mateusz

Perfect! That was it.

Thanks for the brief run down on LCAC and E-LCAC. I simply needed to enable that service. That's what I get for using 8.6 instructions.

Thanks again for your help on that!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: