cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Call Blocking on MGCP Gateway

jeff_pinkerton
Level 1
Level 1

Can you block specific incoming calls on an MGCP gateway registered with Call Manager 4.X box?

For instance I want to block 555.555.1234 from ringing to a DN.

Thanks,

Jeff

11 Replies 11

Chad Stachowicz
Level 6
Level 6

incoming called number? on MGCP, Yes! Use a partition and gateway CSS specific to that site, then block it on a translation pattern! Incoming calling number, you can only block on H323 with a translation-profile!

HTH,

Chad

I created a translation pattern in the same CSS and partition as the DN I want to prevent calls going to -

The "translation pattern" is the cell number (10 digits) and I have selected to "block this pattern - call rejected"

But the call is still coming through . . .

I am not sure if I understand what you mean when you say, "you can only block on H323 with a translation-profile" I am only using MGCP at the gateway . . .

Thanks again!

Jeff

Jeff create the same pattern in a different partition say

PT_Site_A_Specific

Then CSS_SiteS_Gateway has

PT_Site_A_Specific<---Block Trans

PT_Internal <---DN

lastly reset the gateways.

on the H323 I meant if say 18003333333 kept calling you and you wanted to block all calls FROM 18003333333, this is only supported on H323...

This should do it, please rate if it helps!

Chad

ok, just to clear this all time favorite on which there are i don't know how many posts before this one, MGCP CANNOT BLOCK CALLS BASED ON CALLING NUMBER

you need H323 gateway

look in here for further instructions

Call Blocking Configuration Examples

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/tech/tk652/tk90/technologies_configuration_example09186a00803f818a.shtml#con11

Reject Calls

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk652/tk90/technologies_tech_note09186a0080325e8e.shtml#reject

BTW, all in CUCM is based in called number, thus your translation pattern does not work for that

HTH

javalenc

if this helps, please rate

HTH

java

I understand that, from my understanding he was trying to block it on called, I think that is clearly laid out!

"on the H323 I meant if say 18003333333 kept calling you and you wanted to block all calls FROM 18003333333, this is only supported on H323...

"

AKA no calling number block on MGCP

Chad

Got it - bottom line - I can not do it with the MGCP gateway.

Do you happen to know of any kind of third party software that might do this - my searches have yielded nothing.

Thanks,

Jeff

What prevents you from using H.323 or SIP ?

To add to Paolo, I prefer using H.323 over MGCP for 2 reasons. One MGCP is still flaky sometimes, and I have it lock up routers that a simple no mgcp / mgcp will fix. Secondly it offers much more flexibility on dial plan!

Has the question ever been asked why a MGCP gateway cannot block calls based on calling number? Or more specifically why the CUCM cannot block the call coming in from the MGCP gateway. I don't necessarily need a command on the router to block the call, but the CUCM to block/reject/whatever based on inbound calling number.

I understand this question has been asked time and time again, but here I am with a MGCP gateway in my deployment and the request from my staff to block inbound numbers.

Can anyone give me an explanation as to why this feature is unavailable? Thanks!

James

MGCP is a master slave protocol, it just sends ALL to CUCM. CUCM only takes decisions on called number

H323 is peer to peer and can take decisions based on called and calling numbers before even sending something else to CUCM or to other endpoints

if you know the protocols you know why it has the limitations

HTH

javalenc

HTH

java

Jaime, thanks for your helpful response.

It sounds like I will be converting my MGCP gateway over to a H.323 one.

James

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: