cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Call Forwarding Help

Fred Rawlings
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all...Is there a way to setup call forwarding to a users external number (cell phone) without programming an IP phone?

Here's the story, the regional managers in our office all work remotely and have office of desk here in the corp office, I've been tasked with assigning extensions to them and then forwarding their extension to their cell phones, first it was only a request for a couple of them, so I just took a couple of spare 7912's  laying around and configured both with extensions, turned on call forwarding, unplugged the phones and stashed them in my cabinet, the forwarding works fine, but now I've been requested to set this up for all of them and we're about 10 or so more people. Is there some way to accomplish this without having to configure 10 or more phones with extensions and turning on the call forwarding? I would hate to have phones just sitting around or stuffed in my cabinet for the sole purpose of forwarding, if that's the only way it can be done then I guess I'll be forced to do it like that.

We're using CUCM 8.6

Thanks in advance for any helpful tips or suggestions

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi there,

+5 to my friends Manish & Jameson here for their excellent tips smiley

You can also use Device > CTI Route Point to accomplish this task as the same type of "virtual" config can be set there as well. Set the CFWDALL to the external mobile numbers for the managers on the DN page of the CTI-RP.

I prefer the CTI - Route Point method as you can search for it easily and it won't be deleted by accident.

Cheers!

Rob

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

Manish Gogna
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

You can install Cisco IP communicator on the laptops / PC's of the managers. Get them registered once to CUCM and configure the 'call forward unregistered external' and 'call forward unregistered internal' settings to the cellphone numbers of the managers on the DN page of CIPC. This way you are using a softphone rather than a hardphone.

HTH

Manish

Manish thanks for replying,ah so the same way I'm configuring the hardphones I can just do it with the softphone, didn't think of that. But won't I need a license for each user? Thanks again

Please check the following post for CIPC license usage

https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/11869191/licenses-cucm-91-ip-communicator

HTH

Manish

Thanks Manish

If the only purpose for the extensions is to forward to an external cell phone, this would be much simpler to implement with Translation Patterns, and wouldn't use any licenses. Just set up a pattern for each "extension". Put it in a partition that can be reached by the desired CSS, and give it a CSS that can dial out to the cell phones. Set the Called Party Transform Mask to the digit string to reach the cell phone.

-Jameson

-Jameson

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi there,

+5 to my friends Manish & Jameson here for their excellent tips smiley

You can also use Device > CTI Route Point to accomplish this task as the same type of "virtual" config can be set there as well. Set the CFWDALL to the external mobile numbers for the managers on the DN page of the CTI-RP.

I prefer the CTI - Route Point method as you can search for it easily and it won't be deleted by accident.

Cheers!

Rob

Jameson and Rob, 5 stars for your inputs as well, the user has enough options now to decide which solution to go for :)

Manish

Rob that worked like a charm, this will definitely make it alot easier. Thanks alot for the suggestion

Gordon Ross
Level 9
Level 9

Why not just create a bare DN? No need for soft clients, route points, etc?

GTG

Please rate all helpful posts.

Gordon,

In my experience, a bare DN will not route. A DN needs to be connected to a device to route calls, whether that's a phone or a CTI Route Point.

-Jameson

-Jameson

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Fred,

You are most welcome my friend yes

Glad to be of some small help here!

Cheers!

Rob

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: