cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Call manager 6 not picking ip address after a power shutdown

chidex123
Level 1
Level 1

Can someone help me with this,  Am not sure I know why after a power shutdown in the complex our call manager 6.0 has refused to respond to ping request. checking the cli shows that it doesnt have ip address. efforts to put back the ip address just will not.keeps telling us tha it cannot confirm whether the ip is in use by another host.see the output

• 1.      Show network route

169.254.0.0/16

• 1.      Show network eth0

Ethernet 0

DHCP              : Disabled                     status               : down

IP Address        :                                   IP Mask            :

Link Detected    : no                              Mode               : Auto, Half, N/A

Duplicate IP      : no

DNS

Primary            : 10.5.3.5           Secondary        : 192.168.1.7

Options            : timeout:5 attempts:2

Domain            :

Gateway          : none

however using 

admin:utils network ping 127.0.0.1    shows ping reply

I will appreciate any advice on this.

14 Replies 14

Gordon Ross
Level 9
Level 9

CUCM isn't seeing a physical network link. Check that first, before worrying about the IP address.

GTG

Please rate all helpful posts.

Hi,

Gordon is right

from your post

Ethernet 0

DHCP              : Disabled                     status               : down

IP Address        :                                   IP Mask            :

Link Detected    : no                              Mode               : Auto, Half, N/A

Duplicate IP      : no

You need need to confirm/correct the physical issues first

Link Detected    : no ----->  infers that the server does not think there is a cable plugged in

Regards

Alex

Regards, Alex. Please rate useful posts.

chidex123
Level 1
Level 1

Ok thanks a lot. we have confirmed that severally and you could see the cable blinking at the at the NIC  card.has also changed cable.Moreover, this is a working CUCM until the power shutdown.Was thinking I should see at least the preconfigured static ip address on the Call Manager the cable is out? but this is not showing and it is not even accepting putting another static ip

Hi,

What does

Show network eth0

output now you have changed the cable

Regards

Alex

Thanks Alex, it shows same thing as above. We have actually changed cables severally making us feel if the CUCM was afftected by Power. Services on the call manager shows started too...

cheers

Hi,

Hopefully your server has 2 ethernet ports (Not including the ILO)

Try typing

set network failover

Move your cable to the other ethernet port

show network eth0

What do you see now.

Regards

Alex

Thanks Alex for your time. I am currently not onsite but will do that shortly. the server has too NIC but do you think moving over to the next NIC will affect the licensing? Was thinking CUCM license is tied to MAC address.

Hi,

Yes you may be right about the license.

But you want to see if your NICs are faulty.

Even if you need to replace the NICs or the server you will need to get a new lic file

See how it goes

Regards

Alex

ok great! I will give it a shot. what command do I need to revert back after using set network failover?

Hi,

to enable it is :-

set network failover enable

to clear it is:-

set network failover disable

Regards

Alex

Ok thanks a lot.!!

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi there,

+5 to both Gordon and Alex for their expertise here.

You should be good to go with the Licensing question.

"NIC Teaming for Network Fault Tolerance

The NIC teaming feature allows a  server to be connected to the Ethernet via two NICs and, therefore, two  cables. NIC teaming prevents network downtime by transferring the  workload from the failed port to the working port. NIC teaming cannot be  used for load balancing or increasing the interface speed.

Hewlett-Packard  server platforms with dual Ethernet network interface cards can support  NIC teaming for Network Fault Tolerance with Cisco Unified CM 5.0(1) or  later releases.

IBM server platforms with dual Ethernet network interface  cards can support NIC teaming for Network Fault Tolerance with Cisco  Unified CM 6.1(2) and later releases. "

And the command to do that as per  the CUCM OS CLI Reference Guide is:

"set network failover

This  command enables and disables Network Fault Tolerance on the Media  Convergence Server network interface card.

Command Syntax

failover  {enable | disable}

Parameters

enable enables Network Fault Tolerance.

disable  disables Network Fault Tolerance.

Requirements

Command privilege level: 1

Allowed  during upgrade: No "

The referenced guides:

SRND

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/srnd/8x/callpros.html#wp1151635

CLI Ref

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/cli_ref/7_1_2/cli_ref_712.html#wp40017

Cheers!
Rob

Thanks chief!!

Yes Rob. I finally go to the site. It looks as though the NIC is bad. worst though is that it doest allow me to assign ip address to the NIC and so my failover may not work. any idea??