Replies

Call manager and analog pbx

nicanor00
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I have an old analog pbx

I am installing a cucm 8.0

I am installing one voice gateway CME on cisco 1900 router with fxs and fxo card

Physical conexion

Analog phone - Old analog pbx  - fxs card on cisco 1900 CME - CUCM - switch cisco  -  IP phone

Is it possible for analog phone to comunicate with ip phone , and ip phone to comunicate with analog phone

if yes, How should i configure the CME cisco 1900 and the CUCM

Thanks in advance for your help

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

You will need to integrate the PBXes, but you cannot integrated with FXS cards on both sides, you will need FXO side on one side, i.e. Cisco.  Then configure the old PBX to route the numbers you want to the FXS line (if you cam have more than one) and similarly configure the GW and CUCM to route the calls appropriately.

HTH,

Chris

View solution in original post

Hi,

1) Did you test if you can put the original incoming call on hold wait say 3 secs then resume.

If that works you shouldn't need the MTP

2) Is the gateway H323 , SIP or MGCP ?

Regards,
Alex.
Please rate useful posts.

Regards, Alex. Please rate useful posts.

The cucm software MTP is availabe by default when you enable the "Cisco IP Voice Media Streaming App" service. So you need to enable the service to get MTP resource on CUCM.

You then need to go to "Media resources>media resource group" in cucm. You can then add a new MRG of Add media resources to an existing group. In the media reosurces selection you will see something like MTP_1, MTP_2. Assign this to the MRG. use the same media resources tab, to assign MRG to MRGL. On the gateway page you will see where to assign a MRGL to the gateway

Please rate all useful posts

"'Nature is too thin a screen, the glory of the omnipresent God bursts through it everywhere"-Ralph Waldo Emerson

20 Replies 20

Gordon Ross
Level 9
Level 9

In theory, this should work fine. As to how to do it: That's not a simple answer ! (Especially as I don't do CME. Nor have you said how you're connecting the CME with CUCM)

One small question, though: What's the need for the CME ?

GTG

Please rate all helpful posts.

Hi Guys,

Step back a wee bit.

Cisco 19XX routers can not support FXS/FXO cards they have no DSP slots.

You will need to consider 28/38XX or 29/39XX series routers.

Have a look at this link.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucme/requirements/guide/cme90spc.html

At the bottom under the phones you will see the supported routers and recommended memory etc.

Regards,
Alex.

Just to add to the excellent post by Alex (+5), here is an overview of what the ISR G2 routers do and dont do. The 1900 ISR routers do not do any form of unified communications, no CME, no PVDMS, no fxs/fxo ports

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/routers/ps10538/aag_c45_556315.pdf

"'Nature is too thin a screen, the glory of the omnipresent God bursts through it everywhere"-Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hi all

You are right it is the 2900 router use as voice gateway

I apoligize for the mistake

Here the physical connection:

Old Analog PBX  -  FXS port of cisco 2900 voice gateway - cisco switch - CCUM

I already added PVDM and FXS 4 port in the cisco 2900 voice gateway

Is it possible for analog phone(connected on the Analog pbx) to comunicate with cisco ip phone (connected on the switch), and ip phone to comunicate with analog phone

If yes, How should I configure the cisco 2900 voice gateway

How should I configure the CUCM

Thanks in advance for your help

You will need to integrate the PBXes, but you cannot integrated with FXS cards on both sides, you will need FXO side on one side, i.e. Cisco.  Then configure the old PBX to route the numbers you want to the FXS line (if you cam have more than one) and similarly configure the GW and CUCM to route the calls appropriately.

HTH,

Chris

Hi made installation as you suggested and it work,  but there is some few problem

From CUCM to PBX It is OK , cisco phone user XXXXX can join old analog phone directly XXX

But from Old PBX to CUCM, user cannot dial cucm user directly : PBX user (for exemple XX4) user should dial the extension line (the for extension have been group in one line) connected to the FXO port

Then the call is forwaded to cico phone number XXXX1 (all incoming call on FXO card are automaticaly forwaded to cisco phone XXXX1) and user XXXX1 should forward call to appropried CUCM user (for exemple XXXX5)

But when the call is forwaded to appropried CUCM user, communication cannot be establiched betwen PBX user XX4  and appropried CUCM user XXXX5

How can I resolv this problem

Thanks in advance

Hi,

May be you FXO gateway needs MTP.

Can you call as usual from old PBX to CUCM

Answer call and speak OK ?

Then put the call on hold from the CUCM phone

Does the call drop.

If yes then you need to check the MTP box on the gateway config page in CUCM Admin.

Regards,
Alex.

Thanks for your answer

Yes when I call as usual from old PBX to CUCM answer call and speak is OK

But when I transfer the call to approprited final user on cisco cucm phone, he answer but he cannot speak with old pbx user phone

Where should I check the MTP box, I found is without success

I need to precise that I have 4 FXO card on the cisco 2900 gateway,  one is connected on the old pbx as you suggested and 3 are connected on public PSTN line

hope that MTP box on the gateway will not affect PSTN call

Regards

I am not sure why you'd want to keep your pbx at all. It's a dead system. My advice is do away with it and order some VG224 Cisco analog gateways. They connect with CUCM, you just configure it under device and then gateway. It is reliable and works really well with analog phones, or faxes, or alarm circuits. Each gateway can support 25 analog lines.

Regards

Bitter experience tells me that VoIP systems aren't perfect for every analogue device:

- Super G3 Fax machines. (Failing to negotiate down to normal G3 speeds)

- Computer Modems. (Nothing more than about 22Kb/s)

- Alarm systems.

- Door entry systems.

Have all given me problems and require analogue exchange lines because they don't work on VoIP systems.

GTG

PS VG224s have 24 ports, not 25

Please rate all helpful posts.

Hi,

1) Did you test if you can put the original incoming call on hold wait say 3 secs then resume.

If that works you shouldn't need the MTP

2) Is the gateway H323 , SIP or MGCP ?

Regards,
Alex.

Yes, that's right it does only support 24, my bad.

regards

Hi

1. I put the call on hold but when I tried to resume I did not get voice on old pbx phone again

2. the gateway is H323

Regards

Hi all

Please  help

I still have the same problem

1. I put the call on hold but when I tried to resume I did not get voice on old pbx phone again

2. the gateway is H323

Thanks in advance for your answer

Regards