Views
Helpful
Replies

Call Manager components and VLANs

robmas0871
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

my question is about best VLAN distribution of main Call Manager components. I have to setup an infrastructure with:

- 3 CUCM Servers

- 2 Unity Connection Servers

- 6 Gateways Routers

- 2 servers with 4 monitoring software (Unified Provisioning Manager, Unified Operations Manager, Unified Service Monitor, Unified Service Statistics

Manager)

Assuming that i will put IP Phones on separate VLANs, my questions are:

- which is the best VLAN configuration for all these components ? (eg: CUCM and Gateways in same VLAN, ecc...)

- is there any particular rule i must respect to put these appliances in separate VLANs ? I mean, if there is a limitation that force me to put some components on the same VLAN or put other components in different VLANs.

Thank you.

4 Replies 4

Aaron Harrison
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

I would only split them into separate VLANs if there was a good networking reason to do so - i.e. because the physical topology of the network means that the VLANs (in combination with other things) would improve performance or fault tolerance.

The only exception to this would be if you had a large number of devices on the CCM subnet - the UCOS has a limit of 1024 entries in the ARP table. Since you have your phones in another VLAN, this shouldn't be an issue for you unless this happens to be a large, busy server subnet.

Regards

Aaron

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

What do you use for inter-vlan routing ?

Cisco Catalyst 6500 for VLAN routing

See my response if the duplicate post for this here:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/3035329#3035329

Hailey

Please rate helpful posts!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: