Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Call Manager Services configuration question

Hi

Can anyone clarify why you define a device pool in the MTP, Conference setup. Is it used as a final resort when you do not define a MRGL in a device pool for the device.

The recommendation is to use the default pool in the MTP and conference config.

Is this so that if you do not specify the device pool to a device it will use the defualt pool to find the resource.

Thanks

bill

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Silver

Re: Call Manager Services configuration question

Hi Bill,

You dont have to configure the default media group.

Basically if you define your media resources, MTP, XCODERS, CFB's etc and dont assign them to a specific Media Resource Group then they will be assigned to the default media group.

So basically the default group is made up of any resources that are not assigned to an MRG. You cant actually see the default group in the CCM config.

Best practice would be to assign all your resources to MRG's and MRGL's so you can control how they get selected and utilised.

Hope this helps,

Cheers,

Tim.

6 REPLIES
Silver

Hi Bill,

Not 100% sure if I know what you are asking here.

But in terms of final resorts. If you dont assign a media resource to a media resource group then it will be assigned to a default media resource group and list. This default list will be searched if the device cannot find a resource in the device based MRGL, or device pool based MRGL, or if no MRGL is configured for the device or its device pool.

In terms of conifguring of setting device pool in the MTP resource. This would mostly be used to define what region the MTP is in, so it knows what codecs to use etc.

Most of the best practices are based around not using the default device pools. And creating your own specific meaningful device pools. Again important if you have multiple sites and different codecs etc.

Cheers,

Tim.

Tim

Thanks for the reply.

With regard to the default media resoure group and list where is this defualt list configured, I could not find a reference in the Cisco call manager config doco.

The reason is that if you do not have the specific MRGL assigned to the device or pool and you do not want to the device to say have a any media resources how do you take all the remaining media devices out of the default list so that the device cannot get any resources.

Also would it work if you defined a MRGL to the devise with no media resources in it hence it will not get any resources, or will it then search the default list, if my understanding is correct it will still try the defualt list and pickup a resource from their.

I have an understanding on the theory but having trouble with the logic and where this default list is located.

Thanks for you help.

Bill

Hall of Fame Super Red

Hi Bill,

Maybe this info will help sort it out;

The following rules govern selection of a resource from a media resource group in a media resource group list:

Search the first media resource group in a media resource group list to find the requested resource. If located, return the resource ID.

If the requested resource is not found, search the next media resource group in the media resource group list. Return the resource ID if a match is found.

If no resource of the requested type is available in any media resource group in a media resource group list, the resource manager attempts to use the resource in the default group.

Example

The default media resource group for a Cisco CallManager comprises the following media resources: MOH1, MTP1, XCODE1, XCODE2, XCODE3. For calls that require a transcoder, this Cisco CallManager distributes the load evenly among the transcoders in its default media resource group. The following allocation order occurs for incoming calls that require transcoders:

Call 1 - XCODE1

Call 2 - XCODE2

Call 3 - XCODE3

Call 4 - XCODE1

Call 5 - XCODE2

Call 6 - XCODE3

Call 7 - XCODE1

From this doc;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps556/products_administration_guide_chapter09186a00803edad7.html#wp86746

Hope this helps!

Rob

Thanks Rob

I understand this the key that is missing is the default media resource group, where does it pickup the default media resource group from. Is it from the default device settings where you have the default media group or is it in the system default settings. Unfortunately I do not have access to a call manager and trying to get understanding form the documentation.

Where is the default media group located does it get added when you define the devices. How do you view the default media group.

Sorry if I sound basic but without having access to a box these small things keep me wondering.

Thanks

Bill

Silver

Hi Bill,

You dont have to configure the default media group.

Basically if you define your media resources, MTP, XCODERS, CFB's etc and dont assign them to a specific Media Resource Group then they will be assigned to the default media group.

So basically the default group is made up of any resources that are not assigned to an MRG. You cant actually see the default group in the CCM config.

Best practice would be to assign all your resources to MRG's and MRGL's so you can control how they get selected and utilised.

Hope this helps,

Cheers,

Tim.

Thanks Tim

This is exactly what I was wondering, now I totally understand it.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content