Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Call redirected in the middle of conversation

I have a customer that swears her voice causes things to happen on various voice systems. For example, before she completes a voicemail message, the system acts on a # input indicating that the caller is finished recording a voicemail message. She says that she has not pushed the # button when this happens and she is usually under 10 seconds into the recording.

Also, when she is in an outside call (thru a voice gateway over the pstn - usually sprint), the call is dropped and she is immediately dumped into the person's voicemail box (on the other end). This has happened more than 10 times with different carriers (receiving end) in different states and regions. I have no idea what it could be. She thinks it's her 'voice'. She says that when she uses a deeper voice (her voice sounds normal to me) it does not happen. I don't know what would cause this or if it's even possible to divert a call on the calling end without some sort of programming on the receiving end.

At the risk of sounding looney, I promised her i would post this. any input appreciated.

3 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Red

Re: Call redirected in the middle of conversation

Hi Jenn,

You and your user are not loosing it here :) This is a known issue with all Voicemail and/or DTMF input type systems. The truth of the matter is, that any "high pitched" voice (mostly, but limited to women) can approximate the sound of a DTMF key being input. The most common key that these type of voices sound like is the 0-zero key or # key, which of course ends the message being recorded and routes the person to the "dial 0" operator (for zero) or "end of message" (for the # key). There is no work-around for these people other than getting them to speak in a lower voice and trying to avoid any speech in the higher range of the spectrum. You can usually prove this theory by emitting a short high pitched scream while connected to a voicemail system.

So this user is very correct in her analysis!

Hope this helps!

Rob

This makes sense when leaving a voicemail. What isn't so clear is that when she is in the middle of a conversation, the call diverts to the other person's voicemail (usually with a cell phone user). I suppose that "send" (on a cell phone) is also a dtmf tone, but that seems a bit too easy to end the conversation on behalf of the other person.

I can think of a few scenarios where it would be a detrimental mistake to allow the caller to forward your call on behalf of you in the middle of a conversation.

Thanks for responding!! I'll let her know we aren't losing it.

I'd love to hear more about the physics of this. I don't see how someone with a high-pitched voice can accomplish two tones at once. I wonder if a certain pitch fools DTMF-based system into thinking they "heard" the actual DTMF tone.

Weird!

Views
Helpful
Replies