I have a UC520 on IOS 124-20.T2, it suddenly stopped transfering calls. When you hit transfer and try to put in the extension – all that comes up is a “1”, local exensions start with "1" and it does not let you add remaining numbers.
I upgraded IOS and it fixed the problem, today I added MoH config over fxo port and it is broke again, here is the relevant config,
I have attached output of debug voice ccapi inout also:
! voice-port 0/1/0 signal loopStart live-feed input gain 2 description To MoH Live Feed ! dial-peer voice 2000 pots description ** MOH Port ** destination-pattern 8888 port 0/1/0 no sip-register ! telephony-service multicast moh 126.96.36.199 port 2000
! ephone-dn 30 number 1 no-reg primary moh ip 188.8.131.52 port 2000 out-call 8888 ! !
it is fixed, internal extensions begin with "1" and the ephone-dn for MOH has number 1 configured which was causing the calls to fail. I ran debug ephone detail mac-address 0024.C4BD.68A7 and was able to see the error:
025251: Feb 4 11:18:58.751 CST: ephone-1[0/14][SEP0024C4BD68A7]: bulk_speeddial_check_new_digit: button= 1 state FAIL_MATCH
lesson learnt, should never use a number, always use alphabets,
current working config is as follows,
ephone-dn 30 number BCD no-reg primary moh ip 184.108.40.206 port 2000 out-call 8888 !
I'm not able to access my old voice mail messages all of a sudden. The recording says something like 'the message is currently not available'. This has never happened before in all the years I have been using this system. I have t...