Views
Helpful
Replies

Caller ID Name Presentation on QSIG Trunks

shikamarunara
Level 4
Level 4

Hello,

I've been using QSIG tie lines between Nortel and Cisco networks with no problems (mostly) for the past couple of years.  This morning, I noticed that caller ID name presentation is not working in either direction.  Call ID number presentation still works and calls can be made, but no name information.  The q931 traffic shows no name information being presented as well.  Has anyone else run into this?  I'm thinking of restarting the gateway, sounds buggy.  However, I think it's odd that the name information isn't showing up in the q931.  Any ideas?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

ricklefevers
Level 1
Level 1

It's some work to change them but you will find you have far fewer issues if you configure the B-channels on the NorTel side as DID instead of TIE. NorTel has imbedded class marks associated with the B-channel configuration. Setting them to TIE marks all calls as private network which means numbering plan type/called party type may need modified to make it work. Using DID on the NorTel side and setting the Numbering plan type/and called party type for the circuit on CallManager side to Unknown basically lets the NorTel decide what to do. This is often true for PSTN circuits as well. In the PSTN world the problem you will see is that when you make an outbound call some carriers will honor the CLID you send and some won't meaning that ATT might forward the CLID you send but Verizon will not. This is most often seen on cell phones. Setting everything to Unknown and having channels configured as DID instead of TIE lets the far end decide called number and numbering plan type. For PSTN this if relevant to NI2, other D-channel setups will require modifications - so I use NI2 always like this and never have issues.

I installed NorTel PBX systems for 20 years and about 10 years ago switched to Cisco VoIP - lucky me.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

ricklefevers
Level 1
Level 1

It's some work to change them but you will find you have far fewer issues if you configure the B-channels on the NorTel side as DID instead of TIE. NorTel has imbedded class marks associated with the B-channel configuration. Setting them to TIE marks all calls as private network which means numbering plan type/called party type may need modified to make it work. Using DID on the NorTel side and setting the Numbering plan type/and called party type for the circuit on CallManager side to Unknown basically lets the NorTel decide what to do. This is often true for PSTN circuits as well. In the PSTN world the problem you will see is that when you make an outbound call some carriers will honor the CLID you send and some won't meaning that ATT might forward the CLID you send but Verizon will not. This is most often seen on cell phones. Setting everything to Unknown and having channels configured as DID instead of TIE lets the far end decide called number and numbering plan type. For PSTN this if relevant to NI2, other D-channel setups will require modifications - so I use NI2 always like this and never have issues.

I installed NorTel PBX systems for 20 years and about 10 years ago switched to Cisco VoIP - lucky me.

Thanks, Rick.  Much obliged