cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Caller ID with Mobility

kgroves42
Level 3
Level 3

I have mobility setup and I want the original calling party to be displayed on the remote Destination's cell phone. However it is not working. The reason why it is not working is because the Telco only allows the Calling Party number in the setup message to be part of its DID range. I talked to them and they said I can make the Caller ID anything I want as long as the OCN (Originating Calling Number) is part of the DID Range. However I do not see anywhere to be able to change that without changing the Caller ID. The setup is a PRI connected to a CallManager 7.X via MGCP. We can switch to h323 or SIP if needed. Any help on changing the OCN and Caller ID would be helpful.

Thanks

Ken

7 Replies 7

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I can make the Caller ID anything I want as long as the OCN (Originating Calling Number) is part of the DID Range.

This means, you cannot display the original calling number on a forwarded call, no matter what configuration you apply.

That is normal everywhere in the world, as doing differently would allow you place calls with an arbitrary calling number and you could pretend to be someone else.

I agree with this statement:

"This means, you cannot display the original calling number on a forwarded call, no matter what configuration you apply."

However, I would not consider this normal behavior. In my experience (USA) this is *only* a problem with providers that use Broadsoft soft switches. Sylantro, Sonus, Taqua and others can do this fine. Of course, traditional PRI with no SIP in the middle could always do this fine also.

Can you ask your provider what soft switch they use? I'd bet Broadsoft. You can refer them to this document about R14SP9

http://www.phosphosolutions.com/store/docs/208_datasheet.pdf

and ask them when they plan to update and allow caller ID to pass through the system properly..

-- please remember to rate and mark answered helpful posts --

Brandon,

Thanks for your response. I agree with you that this is not normal behavior I see either, out of 7 Branch offices in this particular company only one branch with XO as the Carrier is having this issue. I am still trying to find out from them what type of switch they are using. However I did find out that you are correct and they are not giving us a "typical" PRI but it is a SIP trunk that is converted to a PRI handoff. So if they do have a Broadsoft SoftSwitch in the middle is there anything I can do to allow the original Calling number to come through on my remote destination, other then telling them to upgrade. Also keep in mind this is not a forwarded Call, This is a shared line using Mobility so there is not a "Redirecting Number" field in the setup message.

Thanks

Ken

XO is known to have this trouble in my experience with various phone systems. I understand it is a 'new' call as opposed to a forwarded call. I don't think most vendors distinguish this in their implementations of SIP though. This also means you can't just choose to show your 800# as caller ID for example when dialing out of the system. Another reason this is a problem for people.. I am not aware of any work around except changing carriers.

-- please remember to rate and mark answered helpful posts --

One thing to add here: UCM 7.1(3) added support for RDNIS on Mobile Connect calls. The provider can validate the outbound ANI based on the RDNIS being within the DID range for that trunk now.

The provider can validate the outbound ANI based on the RDNIS being within the DID range for that trunk now.

Still a easy way to spoof caller-id for those with PRI access.

jjia
Level 2
Level 2

Ken,

Did you fix your problem? Can you please share the solution if you fix it? I will setup the same feature as yours, so I am concerning if I will have the same problem.

Thanks,

JJ

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: