cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CallManager 5.1 SIP Trunk ATA Postage Meter

elbyte
Level 1
Level 1

We are having problems using a postage meter in a new SIP trunk deployment. The ATA 186 has a line that is shared by a fax machine and a Pitney Bowes DM100i postage meter. Faxes are mostly working fine - we turned down the baud rate to 9600 and turned off ECM, but the postage meter will not complete its negotiation. PB support either can't or won't tell me what the baud rate is on the meter, nor whether or not it can be adjusted. Someone had to take it home to upload the postage last week. Not a good solution going forward. We are really interested in working out the bugs in this deployment as the SIP trunk could help us save some money. Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks.

2 Replies 2

smahbub
Level 6
Level 6

Like other IP devices, the Cisco ATA receives its configuration file and list of Cisco Unified CallManagers from the TFTP server. If the TFTP server does not have a configuration file, the Cisco ATA uses the TFTP server name or IP address and port number as the primary Cisco Unified CallManager name or IP address and port number.

After the Cisco ATA initializes, both ports on the Cisco ATA (skinny clients) attempt to connect with the primary Cisco Unified CallManager. If the connection or registration fails, the Cisco ATA skinny clients attempt to register with the next Cisco Unified CallManager in the Cisco Unified CallManager list. If that connection fails, the Cisco ATA skinny clients attempt to register with the last Cisco Unified CallManager in the list. If all attempts to connect and register with a Cisco Unified CallManager fail, the client attempts to connect at a later time.

Upon successful registration, the Cisco ATA client requests the Cisco Unified CallManager software version, current time and date, line status, and call forward status from the Cisco Unified CallManager. If the Cisco ATA loses connection to the active Cisco Unified CallManager, it attempts to connect to a backup Cisco Unified CallManager in the Cisco Unified CallManager list. When the primary Cisco Unified CallManager comes back online, the Cisco ATA attempts to reconnect to it.

PierMatteo
Level 1
Level 1

Hi guys,

8 years later but I'm facing a similar issue like "elbyte" did.

The customer has got a 10.5(2) CUCM and an old ATA186 (latest firmware) with a Pintey Bowes Postage Meter connected on one of the ports.

Fax is working but the postage meter is not. We have a 2911 Voice Gateway connected via SIP Trunk to CUCM. On the voice service voip I have "modem passthrough nse codec g711alaw" configured.

I have no experience with postage meters, so can anybody give me hints how to configure or what to be aware of?

Thanks and kind regards.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: