cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Callmanager trunks Vs. Voice gateway trunk

rdianat
Level 1
Level 1

I brought up this question sometimes ago and I did not receive any answer. So I rephrase my question. May be the question was not clear.

What advantage I gain when creating trunk between two call manager in two different cluster? I can achieve similar function by creating a simple IP connectivity between two voice gateways.

Please let me know what features I would loose choosing one against the other.

Thanks,

rdianat

4 Replies 4

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Why would you do this between 2 GWs?

Are these GWs cetrelized?

really the big driver here should be the routing path for the signaling, if both CMs and GWs are at the same locations it really would not make much difference, however if you route the calls between 2 h323 GW you need to maintain additional configuration on the GWs (dial-peers). With CMs and ICTs you only maintain the config on CM side.

I see no benefits of ever doing this via GWs.

Chris

Hi Chris,

This is mostly hypothetical question and I may never do it in real life. One Gtwy is in US and one in Australia. I am trying just to understand the difference. I understand that we need some additional config in the gtwy, but other than configuration, is there any feature which I would not be able to use if I set the trunk between two gtwy's compared to trunk between two callmanagers.

Thanks,

rdianat

No, theoritacally it should be the same as the ICT is a scaled down H323 Trunk.

HTH, please rate all posts!

Chris

What about supplementary services like call transfer, call-forwarding, conferencing which need MTP. Usually we configure lots of parameters in Callmanager which we don't do in IOS gateways. Wouldn't all these features be lost when we only use GTWY ICTs. Do you have any reference / URL explaining in some more details?

Thanks,

rdianat

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: