cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can I configure PLAR to ring a phone also reachable from elsewhere by normal dialling?

Dan
Level 1
Level 1

I was looking at the configuration for PLAR here:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/admin/8_0_1/ccmcfg/bccm-801-cm/b03dn.html#wp1338158

but it's causing me some problems. Specifically, if the directory number to be rung is in a partition which is reachable from any CSS other than the one the PLAR phone is set to, then all phones with CSSes which can reach that number also jump onto the translation pattern as soon as you go off hook (which makes them unusable as normal phones). If the directory number partition is only reachable from the PLAR phone CSS then any other handset on site which tries to ring that directory number gets the engaged tone.

This doesn't really match our use case. I need the number that PLAR phones ring on handset lift to also be reachable from standard phones which dial the number directly, as follows:

1) Security Office phone - directory number A, CSS National (can ring any internal, local or national numbers)
2) PLAR Phone - DN B, CSS PLAR-Sec (can only ring DN A, does so automatically on handset lift)
3) All other phones - DNs assorted, CSS Internal/Local/National/International/Premium (can ring relevant numbers, *including* DN A)

So I create a translation pattern with partition Security and CSS PLAR-Sec. CSS PLAR-Sec is given access to partition Security and nothing else. If 1) gets put into partition 'Security', then 1) can ring out as expected and 2) rings 1) when you go off hook, but any of the phones for 3) (partition 'Internal', with CSSes which don't have access to partition 'Security') can't ring 1). If I give the various CSSes for the phones in 3) access to the 'Security' partition then as soon as you go off hook for any phone in 3) it hits the translation pattern and tries to ring 1).

Is there any way I can get the configuration I need, or is the closest I can get a second line on 1) which can only be rung by PLAR phones, and telling the security office they'll have to start paying for another line?

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

yahsiel2004
Level 7
Level 7

Dan,

You're not configuring PLAR correctly! The results you want is how PLAR normally works. Example below:

PTs:

- Internal_PT

- PLAR_PT

CSS:

- Unrestricted_CSS

- Internal_PT

- PLAR_CSS

- PLAR_PT

------------------------------------------------

Phone A (PLAR Phone)

PT= PLAR_PT

CSS = PLAR_PT

Phone B (Normal User)

PT= Internal_PT

CSS = Internal_CSS

Translation-Pattern:

- Pattern = "BLANK"

- PT = PLAR_PT

- CSS = Internal_CSS

- Called Party Transform Mask = "Number to be dialed"

Regards,

Yosh

HTH Regards, Yosh

View solution in original post

heathrw
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

So looking at your case (hoping I understood your requirements correctly) Security Office DN, PLAR Phone DN and all other DNs can all be in say internal-pt which in turn is in the internal-css (and any other CSS such as your local, national, etc) if all phones (except the PLAR phone) have this internal-css they can dial each other including the PLAR phone.

For the PLAR you would do as described, a partition called SEC-PLAR-pt, calling search space called SEC-PLAR-css. Then have a translation pattern with the pattern field left blank, partition is SEC-PLAR-pt, a calling search space of internal-css and called party number mask of the the Security Office DN. Assign the SEC-PLAR-CSS to the line AND the device (I always do this just to make sure).

From this setup you should have the following outcome:

• Security office phone is a PLAR destination only, does not need to be treated differently than any other handset DN is in normal partition as any other typical DNs
  • Security office phone can dial anyone including PLAR phone and other handsets
  • All other phones can dial anyone including security and PLAR phones
  • Only the PLAR phone has the PLAR CSS assigned, it can answer incoming calls like normal handsets and only outbound is affected as it will auto dial the security handset when taken off hook.

Good luck. 

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

yahsiel2004
Level 7
Level 7

Dan,

You're not configuring PLAR correctly! The results you want is how PLAR normally works. Example below:

PTs:

- Internal_PT

- PLAR_PT

CSS:

- Unrestricted_CSS

- Internal_PT

- PLAR_CSS

- PLAR_PT

Phone A (PLAR Phone)

PT= PLAR_PT

CSS = PLAR_PT

Phone B (Normal User)

PT= Internal_PT

CSS = Internal_CSS

Translation-Pattern:

- Pattern = "BLANK"

- PT = PLAR_PT

- CSS = Internal_CSS

- Called Party Transform Mask = "Number to be dialed"

Regards,

Yosh

HTH Regards, Yosh

That seems to work, thank you. I am however a bit confused why you list PLAR_CSS and PLAR_PT under your configured CSSes, and then never used PLAR_CSS. Was that just a mistake, and there should only be a PLAR_PT under each?

You're welcome and I used the PLAR_CSS on the Phone A Line.

Yosh

HTH Regards, Yosh

PLAR_CSS should usually be applied to the line of the PLAR phone.  It looks like he just made a typo and wrote "PLAT_PT" for the CSS instead.

heathrw
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

So looking at your case (hoping I understood your requirements correctly) Security Office DN, PLAR Phone DN and all other DNs can all be in say internal-pt which in turn is in the internal-css (and any other CSS such as your local, national, etc) if all phones (except the PLAR phone) have this internal-css they can dial each other including the PLAR phone.

For the PLAR you would do as described, a partition called SEC-PLAR-pt, calling search space called SEC-PLAR-css. Then have a translation pattern with the pattern field left blank, partition is SEC-PLAR-pt, a calling search space of internal-css and called party number mask of the the Security Office DN. Assign the SEC-PLAR-CSS to the line AND the device (I always do this just to make sure).

From this setup you should have the following outcome:

• Security office phone is a PLAR destination only, does not need to be treated differently than any other handset DN is in normal partition as any other typical DNs
  • Security office phone can dial anyone including PLAR phone and other handsets
  • All other phones can dial anyone including security and PLAR phones
  • Only the PLAR phone has the PLAR CSS assigned, it can answer incoming calls like normal handsets and only outbound is affected as it will auto dial the security handset when taken off hook.

Good luck. 

So this seems to be the same setup that Yosh suggested, and it works fine. However I am going back and looking at the Cisco official documentation I linked and it definitely seems to be saying I need a different setup (for example it says in Step 4 that the PLAR *destination* must be assigned the new partition I have created which the new CSS contains).

Is the documentation incorrect and needs modifying?

Hi Dan,

Reading the documentation the beginning of the section states you must create the PLAR destination so that is a DN on a Phone (your case the security office) that the PLAR will hit.

While in step 4 it explains that the PLAR destination DN is a member of partition and CSS so it can be assigned to the translation callings search space. Being an example it is the bare requirement to get it operational so for this purpose the documentation is relevant.

For more explanation check out: http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/srnd/collab10/collab10/dialplan.html

Sections

Partitions (Figure 14-21)

Calling Search Spaces (Figure 14-22)