Views
Helpful
Replies

Can't install firmware of cisco ip phone 8945 to CUCM 7.1.5

Mohibur Rahman
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Everyone

I’ve got this new Cisco IP phone 8945 and wanted to install the latest firmware (cmterm-894x-sccp.9-2-3-5.cop.sgn), to be able to use the new phone on our corporate CUCM 7.1.5.

I’ve restarted TFTP services on both Publisher and Subscriber after successfully uploading the file in CM OS administration using ‘Software Upgrade’ > ‘Install/Upgrade’ via FTP server. But then when I try to ‘add new phone’, I don’t see 8945 in the available list and also when I go to ‘Device >Device Settings > Device Default under CM Administrator, I don’t see 8945 in the list?

I’m not sure if there is anything that I’m missing or doing wrong (sgn files or zip files, FTP or SFTP etc)?

I didn’t try the ‘installing firmware with zip files version’ as there are few files once unzipped (BOOT894x.0-0-1-0.bin.sgn , then SCCP894x.9-2-3-5.bin1.sgn up to version 9 and then SCCP894x.9-2-3-5.loads) and I’m not sure if I’ve to install all the files or just ‘load’ file or ‘boot’ file?

Because I’m using the latest version (cmterm-894x-sccp.9-2-3-5.cop.sgn) of COP file do I still need the ‘Device Enabler’?

I know there are too many questions, but if someone could help me with this, I would appreciate and be grateful.

Thanks a lot,

Mohi

6 Replies 6

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

A FW cop file is just that, files that go to the TFTP folder. Installing a FW has never meant you are adding support for an endpoint.

Support for new endpoints is either via a device enabler (if there's one) or via device packs. Those do modify the CUCM DB to add new devices to the drop down menu.

You'll need to do a cluster reboot after installing the devpacks as it's mandatory for new endpoint support.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

www.cisco.com/go/pdihelpdesk

HTH

java

Hi Java

Thanks for your respond.

Could you please point me to the link for Device enabler or device pack for cisco 8945 ip phone?

If this will be the Zip file version of SCCP firmware then I got it and other than SIP version there is another link under software type for this model called 'UCM Endpoints Locale Installer', quite not sure which one to use. Also really didn't want to experiment much on live system.

Does anyone has a step by step document for 8945 cisco ip phone to work with CUCM 7.1.5 ?

The release note seems to be not so clear for me.

Thanks again.

Mohi

>>> javalenc 25/05/2012 10:46 am >>>

Home ( https://supportforums.cisco.com/index.jspa )

Re: Can't install firmware of cisco ip phone 8945 to CUCM 7.1.5 created by javalenc ( https://supportforums.cisco.com/people/javalenc ) in IP Telephony - View the full discussion ( https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/3644190#3644190 )

A FW cop file is just that, files that go to the TFTP folder. Installing a FW has never meant you are adding support for an endpoint.

Support for new endpoints is either via a device enabler (if there's one) or via device packs. Those do modify the CUCM DB to add new devices to the drop down menu.

You'll need to do a cluster reboot after installing the devpacks as it's mandatory for new endpoint support.

HTH

java

www.cisco.com/go/pdihelpdesk

Reply to this message by going to Home ( https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/3644190#3644190 )

Start a new discussion in IP Telephony at Home ( https://supportforums.cisco.com/choose-container!input.jspa?contentType=1&containerType=14&container=2016 )

Disclaimer: This message is intended for the addressee named and may contain confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete it and notify the sender.

Views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender, and are not necessarily the views of the Local Health District or associated entities.

Go to downloads on cco and under your cucm version you'll find the device packages, locales are languages.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

HTH

java

Hi Java

Sorry for the delay, I was off sick.

I would like to clarify one thing though; if I install the device pack you mentioned above can it create any problem to the live system?

This IP telephony system is running on CUCM 7.1.5 and around 1500 phones/users are depending on it ?

For some reason when I try to download the installation guide for the firmware of 89xx, it takes me to a screen as if I've to buy the installation guide?

Your help is much appreciated.

Thanks again and Regards,

Mohi

http://www.cisco.com/cisco/software/release.html?mdfid=282421166&flowid=5328&softwareid=282074299&release=7.1.5%2835099%29&relind=AVAILABLE&rellifecycle=&reltype=latest

There is a link to readme in the above

Procedure Note: Apply this patch to all of your Cisco Unified Communications Manager servers, beginning with the publisher server and the TFTP server. When applying this Device Package to enable new device support, a cluster-wide reboot is required for those devices to register successfully. A cluster-wide reboot is not required when running to update existing firmware/support. For Cisco Unified Communications Manager 7.1, you must perform all software installations and upgrades by using the Software Upgrades menu options. The system can upload and process only software that Cisco approved. You cannot install or use third-party or Windows-based software applications that you used with a previous version of Cisco Unified Communications Manager.

1. Using your web browser, login to the Cisco Unified Communications Operating System Administration web page.

2. From the Software Upgrades menu, select Install/Upgrade.

3. Fill in the appropriate values in the Software Location section and click Next.

4. In the Available Software drop-down box, select the file you downloaded in Step 2, and click Next.

5. After verifying that the MD5 has the correct value, click Next.

6. In the Warning box, verify that you selected the correct firmware and then click Install.

7. Check that you received a Success message.

Note: To change the loads manually, you do not need to reinstall this Device Package. The new files will be present in the TFTP folder. Go to CCMAdmin>Device>Device Settings>Device Defaults and manually change the name of the load file (for specific devices) to the new load and click Update. Note: If you are rebooting the cluster then you should ignore Step 8.

8. Stop and restart the TFTP server; then reset the affected devices for them to upgrade to the new load.

Hi nikshah

Thanks for your respond and detail steps.

I'll have to read a bit more about the impact of rebooting the cluster first before proceeding.

Thanks to everyone.

Regards,

Mohi