cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can you insert a dial-peer into the correct position without removing and re-adding the dial-peers?

scott.mason
Level 1
Level 1

We want to place dial-peers into our configuration into the correct place.

So for example, we want dial-peer 2010 to be placed into the configuration after dial-peer 2009.

[Current config]

dial-peer 2008

!

dial-peer 2009

!

dial-peer 2015

!

dial-peer 2020

!

In this example the router has been riunning and we are adding dial-peer 2010.  Typically this means that dial-peer 2010 will simply be added to the dial-peer groups and we do not want that.  So in the above example it would show up under dial-peer 2020 like so;

dial-peer 2020

!

dial-peer 2010

!

So in essence we first remove all of the dial-peers and then re-add them all so that 2010 now shows up correctly after 2009 where we want it.

Is there a way to insert dial-peer 2010 into the configuration without having to remove and re-add?

Thank you.

7 Replies 7

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

No, there is no way. The only method would be to edit configuration in a text file, copy to startup-config, reload router.

This being said, dial-peer order in config doesn't matter, at least it has never been definitely proven.

Removing and re-adding would be preferable to a complete router reload,  All we need then in the .txt file with the dial-peers listed properly.

With today's IOS if the dial-peer is in use it will not release to be deleted however so for those reading this you need to keep that in mind.  Before removing them all make sure nobody is on a call.

Then it is a quick "no dial-peer" for each existing one and then paste in your dial-peers from your .txt file in the correct order.

If there in no way insert them then that is the preferable way to get them in the order you intend.

It may not have been proven that the order doesn't matter but to keep things to the proper standard we like to keep them in the order we intended them.

Usually there is a reason we are creating a new dial-peer so there is a reason to place it where we want it to be logically.

I actually did prove that dial peer order does matter. Opened a case with Cisco and found that there was a bug in a certain version of IOS. Once upgraded, the problem no longer existed, a simple reboot of the router would never fix the issue either. So, its always wise to put the dial peers in what would be an "ideal" order in the event your run into a bug down the road, plus it keeps it clean and logical like it should be as noted in here. If I had the dial peers ordered like they really should have been in the first place, the bug would not have mattered. So as Forest Gump would say, "stupid is as stupid does." I have been gumped many times.

Somethin' bit me!

Do you have the bug ID?

The problem doesn't exist in current IOS.

I do not, sorry. It was a couple of years ago but I may have saved the correspondance with TAC. I will see if i cant dig it up.

Tracy

As said Paolo there is no way.

When I need to add dial-peer, I create a ".txt" script.

I delete DP and then puts all dial-peer in sequence to avoid time without dial-peers and drop-calls for the user.

no dial-peer vocie 10

no dial-peer vocie 20

no dial-peer vocie 30

!

dial-peer vocie 10 pots

destinat...

forward...

!

dial-peer vocie 15 pots

destinat...

forward...

!

dial-peer vocie 20 pots

destinat...

forward...

!

dial-peer vocie 30 pots

destinat...

forward...

!

Alex

That is the way we've had to do it for years, I was just hoping there was some magical command I had missed to insert them without having to go through that process.

Perhaps in the future .

Thank you.