cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can you install a CUCM patch on a sub before the pub is running that version?

jsmckinlay
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am in the middle of upgrading a 6.1.4 cluster to 8.5.1.

Publisher is now on 8.5.1 (from DVD) and running on that version and we are currently waiting for the 1 subscriber to upgrade.

Once this is done I need to patch to the latest release of 8.5.1 which I have downloaded.

The question is, can I simultaneously start the upgrade patch on both the publisher and the subscriber at the same time.

Or do I have to upgrade the publisher and reboot so it's running before I can start installing the upgrade on the subscriber.

Thanks

Jon

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Jon,

I just thought you might like a reference to the great tips from Aaron,Kenneth, Nik

and Baskaram (+5 each guys )

Upgrading a Cluster in Parallel

When you upgrade a cluster that is running a supported version of Cisco Unified Communications

Manager 6.x to Cisco Unified Communications Manager 8.5(1), begin upgrading the first node first. You

can begin upgrading subsequent nodes in parallel after the first node reaches a specified point in the

upgrade.

During the upgrade of the first node, view the installation log, install_log_.log, by using the

Software Installation/Upgrade window in Cisco Unified Communications Operating System

Administration or the command line interface (CLI). You can begin the upgrade of the subsequent nodes

after the following information displays in the log:

PRODUCT_TARGET is

PRODUCT_NAME is

PRODUCT_VERSION is

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/cucos/8_5_1/cucos/osg_851_cm.pdf

Cheers!

Rob

"Show a little faith, there's magic in the night" - Springsteen

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

The following link should answer your question:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/cucos/7_1_2/cucos/iptpch7.html#wp1179699

It references 6.x to 7.x upgrade, but should be same procedure for going to 8.x

Hope that helped, if so, please rate.

Hi

You always have to start the Pub first.

But you can (usually 15-20 minutes into the Pub upgrade) start the subs in parallel.

You should tell all the servers to 'not restart' at the end. That way you can wait to see if they all finish succesfully then restart in the proper sequence as indicated in the documentation.

If you allow auto restarts then your pub may fail, and subs succeed... leaving you with subs rebooting to the new ver before the publisher...

Regards

Aaron

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

nikshah
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

To be honest, its not recommended to install the sub prior to the pub. Installation of the sub whenever it starts the script performs a check of the version taht its trying to install in the active/inactive partition. There are a lot of DB entries done at various points during install so its defintitely not recommened to start the sub install prior to the pub.

Hi,

It is better always follow the procedure.

1. upgrade in publisher first and don't reboot.

2. upgrade subsequent nodes (sub1, sub2) and don't reboot.

3. switch the version on publisher and reboot.

4. switch the version of subscribers and reboot. (one by one)

so that you will not get DB replication problem.

Regards,

Baskaran.M

Hi All

In my post I describe the same procedure. Yes, you need to reboot the servers in the correct order.

But - you don't need to wait while servers upgrade one after the other. It's perfectly fine (assuming that your servers are not excessively busy with production traffic) to allow the inactive partition to upgrade in parallel to save time.

Aaron

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Jon,

I just thought you might like a reference to the great tips from Aaron,Kenneth, Nik

and Baskaram (+5 each guys )

Upgrading a Cluster in Parallel

When you upgrade a cluster that is running a supported version of Cisco Unified Communications

Manager 6.x to Cisco Unified Communications Manager 8.5(1), begin upgrading the first node first. You

can begin upgrading subsequent nodes in parallel after the first node reaches a specified point in the

upgrade.

During the upgrade of the first node, view the installation log, install_log_.log, by using the

Software Installation/Upgrade window in Cisco Unified Communications Operating System

Administration or the command line interface (CLI). You can begin the upgrade of the subsequent nodes

after the following information displays in the log:

PRODUCT_TARGET is

PRODUCT_NAME is

PRODUCT_VERSION is

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/cucos/8_5_1/cucos/osg_851_cm.pdf

Cheers!

Rob

"Show a little faith, there's magic in the night" - Springsteen

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: