cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cat5e Cable for 4 FXO Lines?

jmunoz19
Level 4
Level 4

I'm deploying a remote site with four FXO voice ports in a VG on one side of a large room.  On the other side of the room are four lines from the PSTN that are terminated on a 66 block.  I need to connect those four lines into the four FXO ports on the router.  Can I just take a 50 foot Cat5e cable and use the four pairs inside to connect the four lines?  I was thinking on one end I would crimp four RJ11 heads (one on each pair) and plug them into the VG.  On the other end of the cable I would punch down the corresponding pins into the 66 block.  Will this work?  If not, how should I connect these lines?

Thanks!

Jeff

4 Replies 4

Brandon Svec
Level 7
Level 7

That will work as you describe.  Another way that I would consider cleaner would be to terminate to 4 jacks and then use line cords to plug into your FXO blade.  You could get suface mount box with 4 jacks like this: http://www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/ibeCCtpItmDspRte.jsp?item=5058&section=10751&minisite=10026

Brandon

-- please remember to rate and mark answered helpful posts --

Steven Holl
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

That will work.  Just make sure you wire it striaght-through, and don't cross tip and ring when terminating the pairs.  Flipped tip/ring will cause battery reversal issues, and issues with GS circuits.

Ring is pin 2, tip is pin 3 on a RJ14 (4 pin) jack.

Does it matter which pins on the cat5e cable that I use?  I was thinking I would keep it simple and use blue/blue-white for the 1st pair, brown/brown-white for the 2nd pair, orange/orange-white for the 3rd pair and green/green-white for the 4th pair.  Is that cool or do I have to use the pins in the order specified by the T568AB standard?

Thanks!

Jeff

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hey Jeff,

Best to follow the standard

1 White Blue/Blue

2 White Orange/Orange

3 White Green/Green

4 White Brown/Brown

Cheers!

Rob

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: