cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Catalyst Express VLAN's VO-IP problem

khowlette
Level 1
Level 1

I've just installed several catalyst express 500LC and having a couple of VLAN's running. I have serveral desktops with IP phones (Mitel 1525) which talk to a remote PBX via a Cisco router. Network Assistant keeps telling me to set the Smart port to "Desktop+IP phone" but if I do this I need to set the Cisco-Voice VLAN for the phone. My phones and desktops use the same IP subnet which I'm forced to use for routing to the remote network. Do I need to use some routing to get the phones to see the remote network which is accessed via my Desktop VLAN. I'm fairly new to VLAN's and Vo-IP so hope this doesn't sound to stupid.

1 Reply 1

Dennis Mink
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I do not fully understand the question,

you say your phones and desktops are in the same subnet. In which case they are also in the same VLAN. From a QoS point of view this might not always be the best thing to do.

Smart port is just a way of automatically configuring a port for voice and data, nomally you would manually create a voice and data vlan (trunking it to the cisco phone).

as you are using Mitel phones ( and I do not know if they have the same intelligence as the cisco phones), you might want to just keep them in the same subnet as your "data devices"

or split the subnet in 2. and let route summarization do the rest (split /24 into 2x/25 for instance)

good luck

Please remember to rate useful posts, by clicking on the stars below.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: