cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CCM 3.3(4) to 4.1(3) Upgrade...Advice!

Ayodeji Okanlawon
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Please I need advice on how best to carry out upgrde from 3.3(4) to 4.1(3). using a different hardware

Is there any docs that can help me?

My worries are using bars on 3.3(4) and the BARs data's compartibility on 4.1(3)

How best should I go about this?

Please rate all useful posts
7 Replies 7

thisisshanky
Level 11
Level 11

i would take either an image of the existing server and put that into the new server or else take a bars backup of existing server first, then install CM 3.3.4 on the new box, restore the database backed up by BARS. Now you will have two identical publishers (make sure name of server, ip etc match).

Now you can use the new server to do upgrades at your own pace, without causing downtime. Once you upgrade to 4.1.3 you can switch the servers. Then you can reinstall upgrade the subscriber.

Callmanager upgrade matrix shows that you can directly upgrade from 3.3.4 to 4.1.3. To upgrade the Callmanager version to 4.13, you need to procure 4.1.3 disks. If you have smartnet you can simply use Product Upgrade Tool to order the right disks.

http://tools.cisco.com/gct/Upgrade/jsp/index.jsp

These links shud also help for the upgrade.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps556/products_installation_guide_book09186a00803bea43.html

HTH

Sankar

PS: please remember to rate posts!

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus

Sankar,

Thank you for the post. However I want you to know that we do not have the 3.3(4) medis again, so does that leave us with the only option of taking an image of the existing server, put it into the new server and then upgrade to 4.1(3)?

Imaging from one server to another may work as long as the hard drive specs do match. If you have smartnet on these servers, use the Product Upgrade Tool to order 3.3 to 4.x upgrade disks.

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus

Thanks again.

I am looking into this to see if we have smartnet for the servers. I know we have maintenace contract with cisco, I am not sure of smartnet.

Alternatively, I have an image of the exisitng server (same disk size etc). The exisitng server uses smart array controller 5i. I am about to stage this upgrade with the image using same server vedor (compaq) but a different smart array controller 3200.

I am a bit afraid this would not work! Any advise on this?

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Okanlawon,

Hope all is well with you my friend. This will have to be done in multiple stages to be supported. Stage 1 will be building CCM 3.3(4) on the new Hardware (no BARS issues) then upgrading to CCM 4.1(3).Here is nice Step by Step Guide;

Upgrading Cisco CallManager Release 4.1(3)

Replacing Servers During the Upgrade

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps556/products_installation_guide_chapter09186a00803fd708.html#wp1039986

Hope this helps!

Rob

Rob,

Thank you.

The challenge is that we do not have the medias for 3.3(4) again. So I assume that our only way out here will be to use an image of the existing server...

What do you think

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Okanlawon,

Like our friend Shanky has so nicely noted, you can probably get the 3.3(4) Media cd's still which would be a good fit. If you don't want to go that way you could do the upgrade to 4.1(3) on the existing servers and then do a 4.1(3) rebuild/restore on the new boxes with the proper BARS Backup. Either way would work just fine :)

Hope this helps!

Rob

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: