cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CCM 4.1.3 Device Pack upgrade question

rcrumm_2
Level 2
Level 2

One question. towards the end of the install you are asked if you want to update all device firmware defaults.

If I say yes, will this force a reboot of the phones or will they just download the new image if/when thy are rebooted.

Thanks,

Randall

8 Replies 8

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Randall,

This answer (yes) will not reboot all the IP Phones, they will only load the new firmware when they are rebooted. If you look at the example below (towards the bottom**) this is noted. A cluster reboot would also change the firmware;

Here is a clip of the install notes;

Perform the following procedure to install Cisco Unified CallManager Device Package X.X.exe:

1. Download the ciscocm-4-1-DevPack-X.X.exe file to your hard drive. Make a note of the location where you saved the file.

2. Double-click on the downloaded file to begin the installation.

3. Click Yes when the installation process displays a message that asks if you want to install this Device Package.

4. The remainder of the installation process continues without any additional user input.

5. Towards the end of the install it will prompt you "Update ALL devices firmware defaults?", (IMPORTANT) If you click "yes", it will change the default firmware load for all devices to the latest load packaged with this device pack, click "no" if you want to change the loads manually yourself later.

Note: In order to change the loads manually, you do NOT need to reinstall this Device Package. The new files will be present in the C:\Program Files\Cisco\TFTPPath folder. Go to CCMAdmin->System->Device Defaults and manually change the name of the load file (for specific device(s)) to the new load and click UPDATE. Next, reset the affected devices for them to upgrade to the new load.

The system will ask you if you want to view the logfile when the installation is complete.

6. Verify that the installation completed successfully by taking the following actions:

a. When the system prompts you to view the log file, if the number of errors listed in the dialog is "0", you can select No.

b. If the number of errors detected was greater than 0, select Yes to view the logfile and scroll down to the end of the log file. The errors section at the bottom of the log file will be updated with a corresponding severity.

**c. Reset affected devices in order for them to obtain new firmware loads, or reboot the cluster.

Note: If the TFTP server is a separate server from the Publisher, the Cisco TFTP service needs to be stopped and restarted on the TFTP server before performing this step, unless the cluster (including the TFTP server) is being rebooted.

From this doc;

http://ftp-sj.cisco.com/cisco/crypto/3DES/voice/callmgr/4.1/ciscocm.4-1-DevPack-43_readme.htm

With the install of the devpak Step # 5 is very important. You probably don't want to change all of your existing phones firmware so be careful to answer NO if you don't want all models (7940/7960/7941/7961 etc) to have their default load updated.

Hope this helps!

Rob

So it would be recommended to answer yes

Thanks Rob

Randall

Hi Randall,

You are most welcome my friend!

It would be recommended unless you wanted to update, for example, just 7940's and 7960's but were happy with all other phone firmware. If you answer no it does allow you to pick these off one by one or leave some models untouched :) It also allows you to control if/when these are upgraded.

Hope this helps!

Rob

I am upgrading because we are going to use the new 7945 phones in our cluster. We are happy with everything else.

So to minimize the impact. I am just going to install the sw on the pub, and then on the sub.

I don't need to reboot either server after the sw install. The phones wil reregister with the sub if they need to.

correct?

Randall

Hi Randall,

If you are doing this to add support for the new 7945/65 (which are awesome phones I might add:) then I would answer "no" at that point in the Device Pack install.

Hope this helps!

Rob

Thanks as always Rob

Another thought. looking at the instructions, it looks like I WILL need to reboot after installing.

I only want to add the firmware for the 7945's.

So do I select yes or no when prompted?

Thanks,

Randall

Hey Randall,

Select "No" in this instance. I do think that a reboot of the cluster will be required to add the Device Defaults for the new phone models.

By choosing "No" all the other phone firmware will be left intact.

Hope this helps!

Rob

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: