cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CCM 5.0.4 - Cannot add device license unit

noxkrugger
Level 1
Level 1

I had install CCM 5.0.4 on the MCS server running on linux.

I got few questions:-

1) How to enable second Ethernet port on the MCS server. I notice just have Eth0 on the system, but it have 2 physical RJ-45 ports.

2) How to remove existing device licensing unit (DLU) on the CCM? Because the license is not valid, and I need to re-insert back the same license file. What is the solution?

Thanks in advance.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Thank you very much Cameron. Really appreciate your answer.

BTW, i we reinstall the CCM, can we upload back the same license unit that we used previously with previous IP Phone? I mean I want to use the license with another IP Phone.

If you re-install the CCM application on the same server, then the original license file will be OK to use again (since it is based on the MAC address of the server). As long as you have license units available, you can register any IP phone to this server.

If you transfer the license to another machine, you can add other IP phones to the new server - the CallManager licensing does not care about MAC addresses of the phones, it only takes into account the actual phone type and subtracts a certain number of license units when each phone is configured.

Here is some more background -

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/admin/5_0_1/ccmsys/a02licen.html

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

pcameron
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Question 1 - this is called NIC teaming

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/srnd/5x/50clproc.html

You will have to ssh in or be on the console directly. The feature is enabled from the command line on the server

- set network nic failover ena

You will need to reboot the cluster. Next, show status

- show network failover

Question 2) Refer here for licensing details -

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/admin/5_0_4/ccmsys/a02licen.html

Once you have found out the MAC address of your Cisco supported server, send an email to 'cs-licensing@cisco.com' and they will help generate the new license file for your server.

Thank you Cameron. Question 1 now is resolved.

But for Q2, my concern is how to remove the phone license unit from the CCM? Because right now, the license file is attached to the previous IP Phone mac address and the license unit remaining is 0. I need to use that license file to add another IP Phones.

Is it possible to do that?

Thank you Cameron. Question 1 now is resolved.

But for Q2, my concern is how to remove the phone license unit from the CCM? Because right now, the license file is attached to the previous IP Phone mac address and the license unit remaining is 0. I need to use that license file to add another IP Phones.

Is it possible to do that?

The license is tied into the MAC address of the server, not to any phone MAC addresses. Based on the type of phone, each phone that registers uses up a certain number of license units.

So if you have 0 units left, then you need to purchase a new license that covers the extra phones you want to register.

If you are transfering the license from one server to another, you will have to get the license re-issued by mailing the email address in the previous post. You will need to list the old MAC address that the license had been issued for, and the new MAC address of the server you want to move the license over to. The licensing group should have the old MAC listed in their records, and can then generate a new license for you.

BTW, i we reinstall the CCM, can we upload back the same license unit that we used previously with previous IP Phone? I mean I want to use the license with another IP Phone.

and one thing, u said when we are transfering the license from one server to another, can we add another IP Phones instead of IP phone used by old server?as the license only tied to mac addr of the cm server.

If you re-install the CCM application on the same server, then the original license file will be OK to use again (since it is based on the MAC address of the server). As long as you have license units available, you can register any IP phone to this server.

If you transfer the license to another machine, you can add other IP phones to the new server - the CallManager licensing does not care about MAC addresses of the phones, it only takes into account the actual phone type and subtracts a certain number of license units when each phone is configured.

Here is some more background -

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/admin/5_0_1/ccmsys/a02licen.html

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: