Views
Helpful
Replies

CCM 5.1 Upgrade and Licensing

Ayodeji Okanlawon
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

I am working on a project to upgrade ccm 4.1(3) to ccm 5.1(2)

How do i sort out the issues of licensing. I have 3 Callmanager servers in my cluster. The phones were purchased with licenses when we bought them.

Secondly, Can I edit the LMHOST file in ccm 5.1... If I cant do this, how do I add MGCP gateways names and IP without using a DNS server....

Please rate all useful posts
7 Replies 7

Tommer Catlin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

First off, make sure you have the smartnet contracts up to date so you have an "entitlement" for CM4 to CM5. If you do have this, you should have (3) node license then you can "checkout" with the Product Upgrade Tool from the "Ordering" page at cisco.com. The will then send you a PAK license via snail mail. Once you have the PAK license, CM5 software, MCS servers, you can now install the server.

You can install your servers as upgrades or new installs but here is what i recommend:

emailing licensing@cisco.com

be precise in what you want and include your smartnet contract number, sales order number, address, phone number, etc.

They should turn around and send you an excel sheet for you to fill in. This will have all your IP phone devices. The devices will be "grandfathered" into the new CM5 platform.

Run through the DMA process for upgrading. Basically you can DMA the 4.x cluster, run the CM5 install process and it will import the DMA file. This will contain all your phones, configs, etc. We have seen some installs go from scratch instead of DMA... which works well, just more time.

As for your LMHOST file, there are no LMHOST files in CM5 and CM6. They can point to a DNS server that will resolve your server names, MGCP etc. Just make sure your DNS infrastructure is solid. If it breaks, CCM breaks.

PS. Dont expect the licensing process to be quick or speedy. This takes time, some times weeks to get straighten out with Cisco.

good luck!

a.gooding
Level 5
Level 5

for the servers, when you purchase the upgrade you should have also purchased the Node licenses. you just register that with licensing www.cisco.com/go/license

remember to register the license with the publisher MAC address for both (primary and backup)

as forthe second question, you cant edit the host file but normally i just register the MGCP with it's ip address. i guess someone else might be able to assist more technically with this.

hope this helps somewhat

Please I do not understand this very well.

This is my scenario....

1. I have ccm 3.3(4)

2. I am upgrading to 5.1(2)...I have purchased 3 MCS servers ( for 3 nodes)

3. I have upgraded first to 4.1(3) then I use DMA. After running DMA, I saved the DMA backed up data.

4. I Installed ccm 5.1 (2) using the DMA data

5. I have all my phones and configuration in the CCM 5.1.

Question?

1. Do I need to buy 3 node licences since I have 3 Servers

2. How do I get the DLU for the phones? I do not need to buy licences since I already bought the licenses for the Phones when I bought them..

sorry was not clear

1 - you need to have 3 units for the 3 servers. - each unit= 1 server. if im not mistaken, when you register the each node license you get 2 units - verify this obviously. if that is the case you would require two licenses.

2. you do not need to buy and DUL. the DMA will report phones for you and you send that to cisco licesning. i myself have never used the DMA as all of my installs were wiped installs. i jsut send a spreadsheet (to licensing@cisco.com with the type and mount of phones and the amount of DUL's required.

you need to also provide them with the Customer CCO ID.

(Someone will verify all of this im sure)

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Deji,

Hope all is well with you! Here is a note to add to the great info from Tommer and Arvind :)

You will require two different types of Licenses (Node License with seats that covers the number of proposed users and Device License Units/DLU's for phones);

**Licenses are generated for requested Cisco CallManager nodes (in your case 3) (the number of servers in a Cisco CallManager cluster - with seats *Node License) and the phones that are associated with those nodes (DLU's on a separate License).

***Note - Upload the license file only on the first node of Cisco CallManager cluster.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From this good doc:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps556/products_administration_guide_chapter09186a0080530f9b.html

The Cisco CallManager server where the license file is loaded, assumes the functionality of a license manager.

The license manager serves as the logical component that keeps track of the licenses that the customer purchases and the licenses that customer uses. It refers to the processes that control the checkin and checkout of the licenses. It keeps track of the number of license units that are required for each phone type. The license manager has responsibility for issuing and reclaiming licenses, and detecting whether there is an overdraft of licenses.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps556/products_administration_guide_chapter09186a0080531ebb.html#wp49438

Device licenses are required for Cisco devices and for third-party devices, with the flexibility to replace third-party devices with Cisco devices. Device licenses are sold in increments of device-license units (DLU's). Device-license units are assigned to each device connected to Cisco Unified CallManager 5.0. Each device is assigned a unit number based on the type and capabilities of the device. Devices with more complex and high-end capabilities are assigned a higher number of units compared to devices with basic capabilities,

Here is the DLU breakdown;

Cisco Unified IP Phone 7902G = 1

Cisco Unified IP Phone 7905G = 2

Cisco Unified IP Phone 7911G = 3

Cisco Unified IP Phone 7912G = 3

Cisco Unified Wireless IP Phone 7920 (no battery) = 4

Cisco Unified IP Conference Station 7936 = 3

Cisco Unified IP Phone 7940G = 4

Cisco Unified IP Phone 7941G = 4

Cisco Unified IP Phone 7941G-GE = 4

Cisco Unified IP Phone 7960G = 4

Cisco Unified IP Phone 7961G = 4

Cisco Unified IP Phone 7961G-GE = 4

Cisco Unified IP Phone 7970G = 5

Cisco Unified IP Phone 7971G = 5

Cisco Unified IP Phone 7985G = 6

Third-party SIP device (basic) = 3 (third-party)

Third-party SIP device (advanced) = 6 (third-party

From this doc;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps556/products_qanda_item0900aecd805009fc.shtml

License Unit Calculator

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Use this window to calculate the number of phone unit licenses that are required for a specific configuration of type of phones and number of phones of each type.

Calculating License Units

Use the following procedure to calculate the number of phone licenses that are required when the number of phone types and the total number of phones per phone type is entered.

Procedure

Step 1 Choose System > License > License Unit Calculator.

The License Unit Calculator window displays. The number of license units that are consumed per device displays corresponding to the node or device.

Step 2 In the Number of Devices column, update the number of needed devices corresponding to each node or phone.

Step 3 Click Calculate.

The total number of Cisco CallManager node license units and phone license units displays.

Hope this helps!

Rob

Rob,

You are more than wonderful!

Thank you

Hi Deji,

You know that you are always welcome :)

Take care,

Rob

PS: I think people are having better luck with CCM 5.1(3) than with 5.1(2)

Just a thought!