cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CCM admin changes on Publisher

Ayodeji Okanlawon
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Guys, This is basic and simple..but I want to ask anyway..

Why are we advised to make CCM admin changes on the Publisher, since if we use the subscriber, most changes made are written to the publisher database anyway..So why must we make changes only on the publisher.

Please rate all useful posts
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Aaron Harrison
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

If you make a change via the subscriber, it has to write that change to the publisher, and then the change has to replicate back.

If you make the change to the publisher, then it will write the change locally and replicate it out.

So benefits of doing it on the publisher are:

1) Less traffic between the servers

2) Less chance of getting odd errors back when configuring things - if the publisher can't be accessed,  you know it's down. If you are configuring things on the subscriber and the publisher is offline I recall that you get strange error messages that aren't 100% obvious that the problem is the publisher.

Regards

Aaron

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Aaron Harrison
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

If you make a change via the subscriber, it has to write that change to the publisher, and then the change has to replicate back.

If you make the change to the publisher, then it will write the change locally and replicate it out.

So benefits of doing it on the publisher are:

1) Less traffic between the servers

2) Less chance of getting odd errors back when configuring things - if the publisher can't be accessed,  you know it's down. If you are configuring things on the subscriber and the publisher is offline I recall that you get strange error messages that aren't 100% obvious that the problem is the publisher.

Regards

Aaron

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

Simple and nice!

Please rate all useful posts
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: