Views
Helpful
Replies

CCM Cluster / IP Trunks Design Question

jmujica
Level 1
Level 1

Hi.

I'm looking for inputs on different approaches when IP Trunks are in the mix.

Currently customer is having CCM 4.2 cluster with more than 20 remote sites. Each remote site is using T1/PRI circuits at the moment. Now the carrier is pushing IP Trunking and the customer is willing to add IP Trunks to the mix using H.323. My question is what is the best scenario when adding H.323 IP Trunks to CCM for each remote site?

Is using IP2IP Gateway (now called Border Element) the best option in order to hide all the customer IP Addressing information? The problem is that IP2IP Gateway in each site would not be cost effective unless I can have it running on the same VoIP Gateway where I'm going to receive the Carrier SoftSwitch IP Trunks.

Another option would be to use MTP on the H323 gateway and configure IOS Enhanced MTP on the VOIP Gateway in order to hide the customer IP Addressing as well so an RTP from the IP PHone will terminate at the MTP and from the MTP another RTP stream to the softswitch.

Again what is the best practice with IP Trunks? And what are people doing about it.

Thanks in advanced,

-Jose

3 Replies 3

gogasca
Level 10
Level 10

Hola Jose,

Got a case last month in which customer was using not H.323 but SIP, the issue was that the provider was using 1 single IP address for all locations, we were using 5.1, but should be similar. MTP was required and that cause to use 1 single MTP for incoming calls, which cause voice traffic to go to one specific site where MTP was configured instead of using local MTP.

At the end we discussed with partner 2 options not to use MTP and terminate calls locally or have a centralized deployment where MTP is at central location and use IPIP GW from there. not sure if this helps

Saludos Gonzalo,

Thanks for your quick response. If we want to have incoming/outgoing calls locally at each remote site using the H323 links to the carrier softswitch (It will be the same for all remote sites at the moment). How do we accomplish this?

If we use MTP locally at the router we will be using that remote site only for all calls. Customer is using Centralized CCM deployment and remote site use their local circuits first and then central site circuits for outgoing calls. Each remote site has direct incoming calls through the current T1/PRI circuit.

Any ideas?

Let me understand the topology:

If we want to have incoming/outgoing calls locally at each remote site using the H323 links to the carrier softswitch (It will be the same for all remote sites at the moment). How do we accomplish this?

If you have different IP addresses to the Telco, you can still use MTP to hide the IP address.

CCM logic will be the following:

Gets an incoming call either from H323 or SIP, it will compare source IP address with configured trunks, if there is a match it will use that trunk, and if MTP is enabled depending on MRGL of that trunk we allocate proper MTP and that should work fine as long as we have multiple MTPs and different IP addresses.

Let me know if above topology is correct?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: