cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CCM Migration issues

Hunt.Lee
Level 1
Level 1

I have a customer that require to split into 2 parts and hence I need to build a new sets of CCMs for them. I have the following questions tho:-

i) For BARS, I would just want to backup and restore the CCM's config on the new sets of servers. Does the 'backup server' and the 'restore server' needs to run on exactly the 'same CCM ver'? i.e. can i backup on CCM 4.1 and restore on 5.0?

ii) Because I need to re-point all the existing fones to the new sets of CCMs. Wat is the quickest way to re-point the TFTP IP for ALL ip phones?

Would appreciate if anyone could shed some light on this.

Regards,

Hunt

3 Replies 3

thisisshanky
Level 11
Level 11

BARS require that source and target versions are the same. So the answer to your first question is no. You have to use windows migration procedure using DMA.

You can easily change the tftp in dhcp scope and RESET all the phones. They will acquire the new TFTP address and re-register with new callmanager.

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus

Hi thisisshanky,

But if your have to use 'migration procedure', doesn't it mean it can be on different CCM ver?

Kind Regards,

Hunt

With CM, the migration process only refers to change of H/W, moving to a diff version is always referred to as Upgrade.

As Shankar mentioned, you will have to use DMA. Esp when moving Cm 5.x, there are a lot of changes that come into the picture with the most important one being CM 5.x is Linux based whereas all the previous versions were Windows based. Which even brings in a change to the database, where 5.x does not use SQL.

Also, DMA works very similiar to BARS where it takes a backup the database and moves it to the 5.x Database, the procedure is simple to use as well.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: