I get the following error during the Restore Proccess in the Publisher:
Error DDMDB, the restore keeps on 93%.
At the link error log:
Have any idea to resolve this?
Have u build the subscriber with proper credentials like OS username,Security password and application username which were existing prior to restoring?
Yes, the credentials, security password and applications username are the same at the moment of backup.
Only CCMDB get Fail state the others process are 100% completed.
I think it's the hostname of the subscriber that's causing the issue. Can you make sure that it's the same as the old one? Also the IP address?
Can you upload the DRF Master and Local logs from both servers here?
Thank you for response Sree
I´m sure the configuration data, the security password could to be different, at the beggining of restore ask me the security password.
There is a way to perform restore from Backup and not from subscriber?
After upgrade from 7.1 to 9.1 we got some error on the Publisher server, resolved by the TAC, who suggested to perform a Rebuild of the Pubisher.
I was take a complete backup, then a refresh install of the 9.1 version.
I try to perform the restore fomr the backup and the result is this error on CCMDB.
I am not sure if your issue is related to this bug
You can use the following ways to verify what hostname of subscriber is present on the publisher.
1. Cisco Unified Reporting. Check if the hosts, rhosts and sqlhosts files match.
2. show network cluster on both servers CLI
3. show tech network hosts on both servers CLI
I complete the restore.
I was trying to restore the Database from a subscriber (I think this is a better procedure) but this restore failed.
When I select the option restore from backup instead of subscriber the restore success: restore completed.
Select the server from which database data need to be restored: keep on --Not Selected-- and clic on restore button.
Thank you so much.