Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

CER - Routing of unmapped ELINs

I recently recevied a complaint by our corporate security department stating that they are receiving numerous wrong number calls each day from off-net callers.  The callers typically state that they were trying to dial a toll free 800 number.  Turns out the ELINs that our LEC assigned us when we setup CER have 800 for the Nxx Office code (901-800-XXXX) and the callers are most ikely forgetting to dial the "1" for their 1-800 number call so the calls is routed to us as a 7-digit 800-XXXX call.

Our CER is setup correcly and PSAP callback works when someone dials 911.

So here is my question, if no one has called 911 from any ERL in the last 3 hours so there are no active mappings on the ELINs, how is the incoming call to an ELIN routed?  Does CER answer the call and since there is no active mapping, forward the call to a predefined destination (and if so, where is it defined) or does CER ignore the call and the CFNA setting on the 913XXXXXXXXXX CTI route point forward the call to the DN set for CFNA?

The CER admin guide states "Configuring call-forwarding numbers for the ELIN route point ensures that PSAP callbacks go to onsite security if Cisco ER cannot handle the call."  This states "IF" CER cannot handle the call so I am not sure if this is the same behavior when there is no active phone mapping for any particualr ELIN.

Obviusly if it is using the CFNA setting on the route point, we need to leave it configured for the security DN.  but if there is a way in CER to diect the call elsewhere, we would like to do that, perhaps to an auto attendant.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Everyone's tags (4)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CER will send the call to the Onsite Alert at the top of the Default ERL. I would suggest only using the Default ERL for outbound 911 routing, but do not assign a Onsite Alert to the ERL for notification.

That is what I have done. I have tried what Chris Deren has done and that works too.

I just use the Default ERL as a catch all for phones that are missed for 911. I had set myself as the Onsite Alert for testing purposes and I was getting 50 plus calls a day.

4 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Silver

The callback after 3 hours will use the first Onsite Alert assigned to the ERL that the ELIN is associated with, so to prevent this type of misrouting what I do is create a "dummy" call handler that plays something and assign that as the first onsite alert for all ERLs, this way if this accidental call arrives it basically goes to an announcement.

Alos, you should not allow the ELIN callbacks to be reachable internally, assign the TPs to a parition that is only reachable from the GWs CSS.

HTH,

Chris

CER will send the call to the Onsite Alert at the top of the Default ERL. I would suggest only using the Default ERL for outbound 911 routing, but do not assign a Onsite Alert to the ERL for notification.

That is what I have done. I have tried what Chris Deren has done and that works too.

I just use the Default ERL as a catch all for phones that are missed for 911. I had set myself as the Onsite Alert for testing purposes and I was getting 50 plus calls a day.

Thanks Chris and Jason for your prompt responses.  After testing with the info you both provided, I have found that, at least in my version of CER (7.1.1.10101-5), Jason's response is a little more accurate.  CER is routing unmapped ELIN's to the first Onsite Alert ID configured for the Default ERL and not the first Onsite Alert ID configured for the ERL that has the ELIN called associated with it.

I went back and checked the CER Admin Guide sections for both the Onsite Alert Settings and the Default ERL and I don't see it mention this behavior. Is this info documented anywhere in the CER documentation?

Thanks again!

I have never seen this acutally documented and have yet to find it in any release notes. It was just something I had "found" by experiementing with the ERL's.

Cisco Emergency Responder is one of my favorite products to work on.

This should be part of the documentation.

Views
Helpful
Replies