Views
Helpful
Replies

Change Cluster IP address with Thousands Endpoints

tacl75
Level 1
Level 1

Hi guys,

I just want to know whether are there any solutions to get the above fixed at the fastest time. My cluster is running 8.X.

I have a scenario whereby there are couple of thousands endpoints (Ip phones, softphones, analog devices, etc) registered to a cluster with 2 SUB.

If I were to change the IP addresses and Hostnames for the PUB and SUBs, are there any solutions to reset all endpoints to refresh their TFTP settings as well as CCM List?

cheers,

TA

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

TA,

The process is acceptable, but keep in mind that you will need to change all of your DHCP scopes to point to new option 150 as the TFTP server(s) changed.  Also, dont forget GW configuration, i.e. H323/SIP dial peers, MGCP config and SCCP config, lastly ensure you chnage the references on all applications you may have, i.e. Unity, IPCC, etc.

HTH,

Chris

View solution in original post

TA,

Changes of subscriber IP or hostname do not affect any CUCM licenses.

Changes of Publisher IP or Hostname or several other parameters on virtulized deploymnt will invalidate existing license, and give you  30 days of grace period to rehost it with Cisco.

HTH, please rate helpful posts!

Chris

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12

acampbell
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

You should follw the Cisco documentation

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/install/8_0_1/ipchange/ipchg801.html

This was for 8 0.1

The link to find your exact version , use below and select your version

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps556/prod_maintenance_guides_list.html

Regards

Alex

Regards, Alex. Please rate useful posts.

Hi Alex,

Thanks for the document link. I have no issue on configurations but just have some operational concerns. As the steps will affect huge number of endpoints, I would like to check if anyone has best practises in delivering the changes in minimal impact to end users.

From my understanding, for a 3 nodes cluster namely pub, sub1 and sub2, should the ccm group contains sub2, sub1, pub in the order. We should shutdown sub2 Call-manager service and let all endpoints register with sub1. Then we will proceed to change IP and hostname for sub2(also change pub -> server list). Afterwhich, we will proceed to reset sub2 and pub. Once the two servers are up, we will verify the dbreplication status between them. Once ok. We will fallback endpoints to sub2 by shutting down sub1 Call-manager service. Then proceed to change the IP and hostname for sub1(also change pub -> server list). Again reset sub1 and pub. Once up, we will verify the db replication status.

Is the above sequence appropriate or are there better ways of minimising the impact to end users?

cheers,

TA

TA,

The process is acceptable, but keep in mind that you will need to change all of your DHCP scopes to point to new option 150 as the TFTP server(s) changed.  Also, dont forget GW configuration, i.e. H323/SIP dial peers, MGCP config and SCCP config, lastly ensure you chnage the references on all applications you may have, i.e. Unity, IPCC, etc.

HTH,

Chris

Thanks Chris. You reminded me of that.

Hey pals,

Just to double check again on the sequence.

do we always start changing IP addresses on the SUB nodes first? Once all SUB nodes are changed, we shall perform PUB as last node?

Do I need to rehost license file if we change SUB node first?

cheers,

TA

I think it's License MAC concept with CUCM 8.x. So if the IP changes, License MAC changes, thus license rehost is needed.

GP

Yea mate. But if you do not include secondary nodes ip address for license Mac, I believe changing sub ip address will not affect the installed licenses until pub ip is changed. Agree?

Anyway secondary nodes ip addresses are optional for generating license Mac if I am not wrong. Disagree?

Cheers,

TA

You do not include Subscriber ip address anywhere in the licenses, licenses are only tied to the Publisher MAC on MCS servers or virtual MAC on VMware deployments.

HTH,

Chris

Thanks Chris.

One last question: If my cluster is using IP address, I can proceed to change Subscribers Servers hostname and it will not affect the License MAC in Publisher right? Unless I have changed the PUB hostname, then I would need to rehost the License MAC again. Agree?

cheers,

TA

TA,

Changes of subscriber IP or hostname do not affect any CUCM licenses.

Changes of Publisher IP or Hostname or several other parameters on virtulized deploymnt will invalidate existing license, and give you  30 days of grace period to rehost it with Cisco.

HTH, please rate helpful posts!

Chris

Thanks chris.

Yes Correct. +5 to Chris

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: