cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 2851 deployment Fax requirements issue

craig.corbett
Level 2
Level 2

Hi all, I'm looking for advice with using fax / pdq (card processing) machines with call manager express (running on a Cisco 2851 router PRI ISDN 30) over a fairly large geographical area connected by fibre. So using fxs back to the central location is not suitable.

I have seen post whereby faxing can be an issue, I was thinking of using ata's can someone give me some advice for my scenario?

Many thanks,

Craig.

5 Replies 5

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If you have no router at the branches, the only choice (to stay with cisco products) is the ATA.

When configured properly should work OK.

Linksys ATAs also supports T38, I have them but not tried faxing yet.

Thanks for the quick reply, how would you recommend setting up the ATA protocols config etc? I guess any ATA would do 186 & 188?

Thanks,

Craig.

Any ATA would do. The recommended image is H.323 and there is a section the manual "configuring and troubleshooting fax".

However if you have to buy new I would evaluate the linksys as well because T38 is an huge step forward and makes fax work no matter the underlying IP QoS. With SIP, you would see them like extnesion of your CME.

Hi bevilacqua,

We have ata 3 ata 186 ,,its recieving fax correctly but not sending..some times its going out but sometomes not.if i try my internal fax that is using by another ata ,its also not working.

this is a single site implementation ,so there is no voip scenarios..using e1 pri..

any help appreciated.

thanks

Thoma

Hi, search "troubleshooting ata fax" on CCO and configure it according to the document.

Anyway if you want an easy solution put an FXS port in the router and connectect fax in there.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: