cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 7921 firmware upgrade failure

dom_rozzi
Level 1
Level 1

Recently, we've begun seeing issues with 7921 phones we are receiving from Cisco.  Some of the basics of the problem are as follows:

New phone comes with App Load ID:  CP7921G-MFG-D.5.LOADS; Boot Load ID:  BL-P301-7FC9D191; WLAN Driver ID: 5.3.1.15; and WLAN Firmware ID: 4.3.0.21.

We are currently running CUCM 7.1.3 with device default for the 7921 being firmware version 1.3.2.  However, every time we turn the phone on, it gains access to the wireless network, authenticates, attempts to upgrade firmware to 1.3.2 and then fails.  We also attempted to load several different firmware versions (1.0.5, 1.1.1, 1.2.1 and 1.3.2) - none of them worked.  I have not seen anything in CUCM that indicates the failure and the phone registers to CUCM, but within 15 minutes the phone is re-registering over and over again.  Additionally, with other wireless systems (other that Cisco APs) the wireless phone is not even recognized.  I also check to see if we had any phones that were non-default when it comes to the firmware and CUCM does not report any, although these wireless phones clearly are.

Has anyone else experienced this type of issue?  Were you able to define and resolve a problem? 

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Dom Rozzi

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Dom,

I would try 1.3.3. You are most likely hitting this bug;

CSCtc88591            Bug Details

Add Wistron LCM phone to supported HW_REV list
Symptom:

Downgrade restriction for new phones that have Wistron LCM (hardware revision 3.x)

Conditions:

Old CP-7921G images cannot support new phones that have Wistron LCM so that downgrade to CP7921G-1.3.3 or older will be restricted on those phones.

Workaround:

Use higher version images.
Status
Fixed             

Severity        
3 - moderate

Last Modified
In Last Year        

Product
Cisco Unified IP Phones 7900 Series         

Technology

1st Found-In
1.3(3)       

Fixed-In
1.3(3.1)
1.3(3.0.3)

Cheers!

Rob

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Dom,

I would try 1.3.3. You are most likely hitting this bug;

CSCtc88591            Bug Details

Add Wistron LCM phone to supported HW_REV list
Symptom:

Downgrade restriction for new phones that have Wistron LCM (hardware revision 3.x)

Conditions:

Old CP-7921G images cannot support new phones that have Wistron LCM so that downgrade to CP7921G-1.3.3 or older will be restricted on those phones.

Workaround:

Use higher version images.
Status
Fixed             

Severity        
3 - moderate

Last Modified
In Last Year        

Product
Cisco Unified IP Phones 7900 Series         

Technology

1st Found-In
1.3(3)       

Fixed-In
1.3(3.1)
1.3(3.0.3)

Cheers!

Rob

Thank you, Rob.  Similar to what I have seen before, your answer was right on.  The phone would only upgrade to 1.3.3 or beyond.  The second part of my issue is still outstanding, but it seems to me that the answer to that part will rest on the shoulders of the alternative WLAN manufacturer.  Thank you very much for your assistance.

Dom