cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 7925G Cordless IP Phone Design Shortcomings

Brook Powers
Level 1
Level 1

We purchased a Cisco 7925G cordless to test and evaluate. So far we are impressed with the hardware. Usability and the interface, however were decidedly deficient in meeting the needs of today's mobile workforce.

No option to show available SSID's

There appears to be no way to search from the device for available SSID's within range. I cant think of any other 802.11 device I have used within the last 2 years that does not provide this convenience.

Manual SSID Entry Required

Users must know the exact spelling of a available SSID and then enter it manually, via a telephone keypad. A ridiculously laborious process. Plus, the 7925G will only remember 4 manually configured profiles. Why isnt their an option to scroll through available SSID's?

Complete Inability to Roam

Granted there are security considerations, however many users would make an informed decision to trade some security for usability. Using the iPhone as an example, many users set their device to attach to any available and open SSID.

NO VPN Capability

Once a mobile worker has identified a available 802.11 access point, then determined its encryption method, and finally manually entered its SSID in order to gain 802.11 access, the phone is still useless. The mobile worker must then gain administrative access a firewall, router or security appliance everywhere he wants to use his phone and create a VPN tunnel to and from his home UC-5x0 network. Let us be realistic, no one is going to do that for anywhere other than their main workplace. This severely restricts the usefulness of the mobile worker - and for no good reason.

Poor headset volume

We have tested the device as a desktop alternative by pairing it with corded Plantronics headset and a Plantronics 1.5mm adaptor/quick release. The poor volume, both hearing the caller and having them hear you made the integration of a headset unfeasible.

No charging base/dock

There is no OEM charging base or dock. There is an aftermarket solution available, but its quality compared to Cisco is unknown. The design of the 7975G (with a mini-USB charging jack covered by a rubber dust cap ont he bottom of the phone) makes its use with a dock dubious. We would prefer to see an option for recessed, but exposed contacts that facilitate a convenient dock. For extra points, add an amplified speaker or speakerphone with keypad to any dock.

Our Suggestion

We intended to issue a 7925G to each of our network engineers as a primary phone. We expected the phones to perform as a decent desktop alternative with the addition of a headset. We anticipated that engineers could take their phones to client sites and make and receive calls via 802.11 guest access SSID's. As an added capability, we hoped the engineers could take their 7925G's home to telework via their home wireless networks, relieving us from having to purchase a second IP phone for each employee and go through the headache of configuring extension mobility via the CLI.

Not one of these options is feasible.

I would like to acknowledge that the phone works well otherwise, provides a good quality conversation and clear audio. Finally the high quality of the materials is evident. However, the total inattention to usability makes what could have been a great phone into a failed implementation. Usability improvements to the firmware might be able to turn this frog into a princess or even a workhorse.

Your comments appreciated.

2 Replies 2

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

NO VPN Capability

If you use Cisco's WLC-5508 and the 1130 or 1140 lightweight access point, you can enable OfficeExtend feature.

No charging base/dock

It ain't worth the cost if Cisco is able to develop this and no one buys it.  Look at what happened when Cisco went into the foray of Cisco Catalyst Inline Power Patch Panel (I think it was by PowerDsine).   As you know, the 7921G has a dock.

Contact your Cisco SE and ask them to create a request to improve the product (I forgot the term).

Hope this helps.

If you use Cisco's WLC-5508 and the 1130 or 1140 lightweight access point, you can enable OfficeExtend feature.

Not likely that any client will implement this given the cost, potential disruption and total pointlessness. There are too many other vendors who will provide a VOIP device that will join available SSID's natively - or even automatically.

Contact your Cisco SE and ask them to create a request to improve the product (I forgot the term).

Hope this helps.

It does. Thanks for your suggestions and sympathetic ear.