Views
Helpful
Replies

cisco 7940 not registering.

Sarg .
Level 3
Level 3

Hello guys,

Does anyone know how I can solve the problem of a cisco 7940  3.1(MF.G2) that is not registering to CUCM 7.1.3.32900-4 ? On the same network, I have a cisco 7940    8.1(2.0)  that has registered without problems.

Cheers.

6 Replies 6

TunNyuntMoe
Level 1
Level 1

what message did you get on the phone?

also press setting button on phone and chekck Phone, Call Manager, and TFTP IP

Kid Dynamite
Level 1
Level 1

Where in the boot process is the phone failing? What is the error message yyou are getting? Have you added the phone to CUCM?

Yeah the phone stuck on configuring ip . I have reset the phone and connected it to a port that is working fine for other phones. I can see that the phone has correct ip address because i can see the phone on the Microsoft DHC registered with a Mac and the with the correction Option 150 configured and i can see the  ip address it has been given. Other phones are working fine with the same settings and even port. But these four phone with a difference firmware will not even upgrade firmware and register.

Hi

Try to Erase the configuration of IP phone to make it default config and restart.  While doing this, plese note DHCP should be reachable.

Regards

Ronak Patel

Regards Ronak Patel Rate all helpful post by clicking stars below the answer.

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Max,

Just wanted to add a note to the good tips from Ronak, Tun & Kid (+5 each)

For the 7940's you may be hitting this install note due to the age of your existing firmware and

the fact that you are trying to use 8.1(2);

Note

You cannot upgrade to firmware release 8.1(2) directly from firmware release 8.0(10) or an earlier release. You have to upgrade to firmware release 8.1(1) first, then upgrade from release 8.1(1) to release 8.1(2).

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cuipph/7960g_7940g/firmware/8_1_2/english/release/notes/796040_812.html

So to rectify this issue you will need to download the 8.1(1) firmware from CCO and install it on CUCM

(upgrade phones) as your first step. This will then allow you to move to the desired 8.x(x) firmware build

Cheers!

Rob

"Everything is broken" - Bob Dylan

Thanks guys for all your effort. the issue is now resolved.

Regards