Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 7942 does not boot - only speaker LED is on

mischm
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have a Cisco 7942 phone which is not booting.

After connecting the PoE network cable to the phone these buttons are on

- mailbox (at the handset), both line buttons, headset, mute, speaker

Then all these buttons goes off and only the speaker LED is on and in the display nothing is displayed.

I already tried to make a factory reset which is not working.

What can I do to make this Cisco 7942 working again?

BR

Michael

19 Replies 19

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

There are many, many threads on the same subject, have you tried searchnig before asking ?

Hi Paolo,

thanks for your answer.

I already had a look into this thread -> https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/1111462#1111462

But it`s not working.

This one 7942 is the only phone which behaves like this. We have several other Cisco 7942 which are working fine. And all other Cisco phones also working fine.

Only this one Cisco 7942 is not booting. The port / cable / settings (dhcp / CUCM) are OK because when I disconnect the one faulty Cisco 7942 and connect another Cisco 7942 to this patch cable it`s working.

What can I do to make this one Cisco 7942 working again?

BR

Michael

Search for more threads that explain the enviroment you need to have for firmware recoevery.

Do you mean factory reset like this:

Step 1 Unplug the power cable from the phone and then plug it back in.

The phone begins its power up cycle.

Step 2 While the phone is powering up, and before the Speaker button flashes on and off,

press and hold #.

Continue to hold # until each line button flashes on and off in sequence in amber.

Step 3 Release # and press 123456789*0#.

This is not working at this one affected phone. Also sequence 3491672850*# doesn`t work.

Every other Cisco 7942 IP phone I can reset in the written way and the phone is downloading the default firmware from CUCM. In the beginning after upgrading from CUCM 7.x to 8.6 we had problems with factory reset of Cisco 7942 because of missing default firmware for Cisco 7942 at CUCM.

So every Cisco 7942 is working also after factory reset but not this one phone. This one affected phone was working the last app. 2-3 years without any problems but then the user reported the problems last week with this phone.

Could it be a problem only with this one Cisco 7942 phone because when I try to do a factory reset at this Cisco 7942 the phone stops booting at speaker button goes on. I just tested another 7942 and after speaker LED goes on and off both line buttons begin flashing.

But not at the one affected phone.

BR

Michael

Hello Michael,

I have the same issue with 7942 where phone is only showing speaker light and display looks dead. I tried all the mentioned steps in this page but nothing works for me. finally i have deleted the configuration from CUCM and reconfigure again that works for me.now phone is working fine.

I hope this solution can work for others. please let us know your observation too.

Regard,

Aadil Khan

Dear,

Just I want your confirmation after you delete the configuration file and add the phone again. It is working fine anyone has been tried this way and It is working. Please I need an update the problem the phone not under warranty to raise RMA.  

Paolo, I just don't get those types of answers... like looking down your nose at the guy... if you're not gonna answer his question..why even respond condescending? Maybe he's new to this. and seeking help. Geez.

The idea is to point people in trouble to immediately available answers that are a search click away, instead of wasting further space and time repeating things that have been written already..

In any case if you have a better answer, welcome to posit it.

Talk about wasting space. It's best not to post an answer rather than post something negative. You are correct there are many post about this topic but trying to find an answer to a problem which shouldn't even have become a problem in the first place is often like trying to find water in a desert. 

shabeebmohammed
Level 1
Level 1

generate RMA. it might be hardware faulty

As we only have standard warranty (1 year) to the Cisco IP phones I think I can`t generate a RMA but I will ask.

BR

Michael

rkwong
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Michael,

I got the same problem on my 7962 phones also, but unfortunately, I got 10+ phone have same problem on my hand. Are you going for RMA finally or you find the solution? Can you share your solution to me?

Best regards,

Rudolf

Hi Rudolf,

no I don`t find any solution for this problem. At the moment I have 2 Cisco 7942 which war not booting although I`m trying to do this

Step 2 While the phone is powering up, and before the Speaker button flashes on and off,

press and hold #.

Continue to hold # until each line button flashes on and off in sequence in amber.

Step 3 Release # and press 123456789*0#.

or

press and hold #.

Step 3 Release # and press 3491678250*#.

As we don`t have a contract for phones but only standard warranty for 1 year and the phones are much more older than 1 year I will not make a RMA for these phones.

BR

Michael

Hello Micheal,

Thanks a lot!!

I've tried you mention method; to press and hold the # key while the phone power up, but my phones will not turn line on and off in sequence, all of them only keep turn on the speaker LED.

In the other way, I've asked my friend working in Cisco, he supect the phones caused by the ROM or boot flash failed. ><

Best regards,

Rudolf

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: