Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Cisco 7942 stuck in upgrade process

Since this morning, all our 7942 phones started upgrading, if you reset the phone. By resetting, I do not mean the reset to factory defaults, but a normal reset.

The latest version of the firmware we have on our CUCM version8 is 9.2SR2

I can see that in the firs stage the phone is requesting files from the TFTP server, and gets the correct files for the 42 / 62 series. The first part goes perfectly.

After rebooting, the telephone starts upgrading again, but there the error auth fails is shown at the display. after a few seconds, the phone reboots, but starts upgrading again. The phone stays in this loop until I unplug it, or reset it to factory defaults.

Resetting to factory defaults is also no option, because I get stuck at the same point.

I also noticed that the telephone requests the file SCCP41.9-0-2SR1S, which looks strange to me, because this is a file for the 41/61 series?

This last parts ke

Has anyone seen something familiar?

Does someone know the solution for this?

Thank you

Everyone's tags (2)
5 REPLIES
VIP Super Bronze

What version of firmware is the phone upgrading from? If it is prior to 8.5(2) you will have to first upgrade to exactly 8.5(2). After the phone has that you can proceed into 9.x. The code signing key changed and the phone will not trust a newer firmware load until it has the new key which is embedded in the 8.5.2 build.

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify helpful or

Hello Jonathan,

The version that is currently on the phones is version 9.0.2.SR1, so I think this shouldn't be a problem in the upgrade path.

Hall of Fame Super Red

Hi Roger,

This issue is not that uncommon

Can you please go to CUCM admin and see what is shown on the Device defaults page for the

7942's. I'm guessing something got changed there by accident.

It should look like SCCP42.9-0-3S or in your case SCCP42.9-0-2SR1S.You usually get the Authfail

during the upgrade if the firmware that is currently running on the phones is pre-8-5-2 when you try to go to

a new 8-5-3 or later version. In most cases you need to load 8-5-2 on CUCM and on the device defaults

for the first increment of the upgrade to later 9.x firmware.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cuipph/firmware/9_2_1SR2/english/release/notes/7900_921SR2.html#wp56881

Cheers!

Rob

Hello Rob,

Thank you for the reply.

I checked the CUCM and the frimware version on the default settings of the phones is 9.2 SR2. Loking at this, it is normal that the phones start upgrading after reset, since it is a newer firmware version. One of the network guys overhere, did put the new firmware on the system without telling me

The firmware on the phones is 9.0.2 SR1, so in the upgrade path this shouldn't be a problem.

I also tested with a phone out of the box, with the same firmware (9.0.2 SR1) and this one is updating perfectly.

This pone is not yet created in CUCM.

I did the test with one of the phone in production (deleting the device in CUCM) and guess what, it updated like a charm .

After this, I re - created the phone in CUCM. After a restart of the phone, it went to updating locale settings and did a reboot. After this everything was working again.

After this experience, I checked the other phones, but could not find anything strange in their configuration. Lucky for me it is only the 7942 model that has this problem (we have only 10 ) at our site

Looking at this experience, I rather find it strange that somewhere in the upgrade path, something goes wrong if the phone is already registered in CUCM. I think it is commonly used to update already existing phones to a newer firmware. We also did this before.

Hall of Fame Super Red

Re: Cisco 7942 stuck in upgrade process

Hey Roger,

Thanks for posting back with your results here! Much appreciated (+5)

It's always too bad when someone makes changes to the system without updating

their colleagues But at least you were able to solve the issue, nice work!

Take this opportunity to highlight the fact with the network engineer, that updating

firmware with CUCM is not a benign process and always needs to be researched

before jumping in. The attached doc is really good and shows you how to test

firmware updates on individual phones before causing major headaches

Cheers!

Rob

Views
Helpful
Replies