cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 7960 - Protocol Application Invalid

anubyss
Level 1
Level 1

Ok so this is my first post on here.  I am getting "Protocol Application Invalid" on boot up so after researching and reading on a number of sites, I decided to try to fix it myself as a learning experience.  I don't have much experience on VOIP phones so this will probably be a steep learning curve.  The first thing I did was a factory reset which went fine.  I set up a TFTP and DHCP server using Tfptd32 and downloaded the files needed (OS79XX.TXT, P003-xx-x-xx.bin, and a xmldefault.cnf.xml) and placed them in the TFTP directory.  I've set the DCHP additional option to 66 and 150 (tried both).  I am getting this message on log viewer on Tftpd32:

Rcvd DHCP discover Msg for IP 0.0.0.0 Mac xxxxxxxxxxxx (correct mac address but followed by wrong date and time). 

Client requested address x.xx.xxx.xxx (wrong date and time again but why is it requesting a specific address when it's been reset?)

no more address or address previously allocated by another server (wrong date and time)

I am using just a laptop connected directly to the phone but have tried using a switch to connnect as well.  I do not know the fimware version on the phone as I can't access any of the menu.  So as far as I can tell it's not getting an IP to even start the firmware update process.  I have tried version 7 and 8 as most of the reading I've done states going to 7 and then 8 shoud suffice.  What am I missing?

4 Replies 4

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

TFTP32 has a special formt for DHCP IP options, you can search on the subject.

There is something else besides option 66 ?

Must use 150, not 66.

I've already tested 150 and 66 as stated in the first post.  I think I've resolved the issue with the DHCP.  I needed to uncheck 'ping address before assignation' under DHCP settings.  I am using tfptd32 version 4.0.  Has anyone else had the same issue with this version?