Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 7975G Over VPN?

dapperrync
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

First off - I am NOT a Network / Phone guy at all. I am an Applications Developer who works from home, who is pretty agile to learning some network stuff. That said - I use Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client on my Windows laptop to connect to my Company's network. Currently I use Cisco UC Integration for Microsoft Lync as my soft phone (I previously used Cisco Ip Communicator). Call me old fashioned but I would much prefer to use a good old standard phone, and I managed to find a 7975G at a yard sale for $5 that seems to be functioning just fine.

I have asked my network guys to help me set it up, but they seem to be pressed with other issues. Can anybody give me a checklist of what to do? I have looked at some user manuals, but it is all very confusing and designed for telephony guys, and pretty much overkill for what I am trying to do. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

David Perry

7 Replies 7

Manish Gogna
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi David,

The complete configuration requirement on Phone / CUCM and ASA is outlined in the following link

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-21469

HTH

Manish

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

David,

Phone VPN connectivity requires admin setup on the call server (CUCM) as well as Cisco ASA (VPN concentrator), there is nothing you can do remotely yourself to make it work, unless you have a VPN router at home that connects to the corporate network.  Your system admin essentially needs to build trusted connection between the CUCM and ASA, phone needs to connect to ASA via VPN anyconnect (licensed) and install the appropriate certificates.

HTH,

Chris

dapperrync
Level 1
Level 1

Ok - so what you guys are telling me is that the only way to make this work remotely is to buy a $2000 VPN Concentrator to install here at my remote office, and then I/them can configure from there? There is no software way to do this? There is no way I can justify a purchase of this magnitude just becuase I would prefer to use a traditional handset. They will say "Use the softphone software on your pc."

I was hoping I could install some software on my pc, connect the phone to my pc's ethernet port, and then have the phone use the existing AnyConnect VPN connection to connect (much like the softphone software does). If you are telling me this impossible, then I will drop it. If there are other handsets I could buy that would allow me to do this, then I would appreciate a point in the right direction.

Thanks for you help!

David Perry

You can still use IP Communicator on your PC. If you want desk phone your options currently are:

1. connect phone to router (i.e. 881) which has VPN connection to the corporate concentrator

2. Use Phone VPN feature discussed in previous post, requires anyconnect premium license and ASA

3. Convert phone to SIP and use CUBE line registration, requires CUBE deployed in corporate office with CUBE licenses

In the future collaboration edge will support desk phones, but that is some time away.

Chris

That basically covers all options, nice info Chris [+].

Manish

dapperrync
Level 1
Level 1

Ok - Thanks again. So just to be sure I get it:

1) My router does not connect directly to our VPN. Again, I have to run the Mobility Client software installed on my pc to connect to the VPN. SO I am guessing this isn't an option. Correct?

2) So the ASA VPN Conecentrator is at the home office, or is something I need here remotely? If it is at the home office, I could ask them if we already have one, and then I just have to get a AnyConnect Premium license, and perhaps we have some of those already purchased. If the ASA VPN Concentrator is needed on this end, this is not an option.

2) Ask the Network guys if we have CUBE installed, and a spare CUBE license.

Do I have this right?

Thanks,

David Perry

1. correct

2. ASA VPN at the head end office, where you connect to in order to get to corporate office. There is more to just getting license as explained earlier, you need to integrate ASA with Communications Manager (CUCM)

3. Yes, but this has to be configured as well, "Remote Phone Proxy Sessions" would be required.

All of the above assume appripriate softwae release levels, etc. Needless to say this is not something you can do yourself and is typically handled as a project not a simple add on feature.

HTH,

Chris