Level 1

Hello All,

I am trying to find out if the above router can be

Used as voice gateway with bri connectivity for pstn

Incoming and outgoing calls. The document mentions

The bri port as a backup port, does that mean the

2 bri ports are data ports and the back up port is for

Srst only?

Is it worth going for the 2900 isr instead?

Thanks

Feisal

3 Replies 3

Jorge Armijo
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

If you look at:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/routers/ps380/data_sheet_c78_459542_ps380_Products_Data_Sheet.html

Table 2. Cisco 880 Series Voice Models

Cisco881V

10/100-Mbps Fast Ethernet

4-port 10/100 Mbps managed switch

4  foreign-exchange-station (FXS) ports, 2 Basic Rate Interface(BRI) ports  and 1 foreign-exchange-office (FXO) port for  public-switched-telephone-network (PSTN) fallback

It suports BRI, FXO and FXS, it works if the location is a small branch.

To say if it's worth or not to use a 2900 depends on how many users will be at the location and the business need.

--
Jorge Armijo

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify helpful or correct answers.

-- Jorge Armijo Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify helpful or correct answers.

I did see this but was not sure what they meant by pstn fallback port.

If I have the pstn connected to 1 of the bri ports I want that to be operational and passing voice calls during srst

and not the back up port.

Thanks

Feisal

The router is meant to be at a branch location, FXO ports can be used for regular calls. By PSTN fallback is just a way of saying that you can use the FXO ports for ouside calls in case there is a WAN outage and there is no VoIP to HQ.

HTH

--
Jorge Armijo

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify helpful or correct answers.

-- Jorge Armijo Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify helpful or correct answers.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: