Level 1

Hello All,

I am trying to find out if the above router can be

Used as voice gateway with bri connectivity for pstn

Incoming and outgoing calls. The document mentions

The bri port as a backup port, does that mean the

2 bri ports are data ports and the back up port is for

Srst only?

Is it worth going for the 2900 isr instead?

Thanks

Feisal

3 Replies 3

Jorge Armijo
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

If you look at:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/routers/ps380/data_sheet_c78_459542_ps380_Products_Data_Sheet.html

Table 2. Cisco 880 Series Voice Models

Cisco881V

10/100-Mbps Fast Ethernet

4-port 10/100 Mbps managed switch

4  foreign-exchange-station (FXS) ports, 2 Basic Rate Interface(BRI) ports  and 1 foreign-exchange-office (FXO) port for  public-switched-telephone-network (PSTN) fallback

It suports BRI, FXO and FXS, it works if the location is a small branch.

To say if it's worth or not to use a 2900 depends on how many users will be at the location and the business need.

--
Jorge Armijo

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify helpful or correct answers.

-- Jorge Armijo Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify helpful or correct answers.

I did see this but was not sure what they meant by pstn fallback port.

If I have the pstn connected to 1 of the bri ports I want that to be operational and passing voice calls during srst

and not the back up port.

Thanks

Feisal

The router is meant to be at a branch location, FXO ports can be used for regular calls. By PSTN fallback is just a way of saying that you can use the FXO ports for ouside calls in case there is a WAN outage and there is no VoIP to HQ.

HTH

--
Jorge Armijo

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify helpful or correct answers.

-- Jorge Armijo Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify helpful or correct answers.