cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 8821 WL Phones

G3261
Level 4
Level 4

Hello, just wondering if someone can help...

Does anyone know why this phone will have WiFi and ADMIN settings greyed out? It happens out of blue and ofcourse phone stops working because it is not transmitting (there is NO wireless icon on right side besides battery). When we configure the same phone, both of these settings were available. It happened to few phones already (8821 model). 7925 phones are still working great. I can factory reset the phone and I know it will work but I am trying to find out what is causing this issue in my environment!!!! Thanks

11 Replies 11

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@gary Dubey wrote:

Hello, just wondering if someone can help...

Does anyone know why this phone will have WiFi and ADMIN settings greyed out? 

Check the config in CUCM if Web Access is disabled or not.

it is Enabled...

It is weird that a working phone will have this behavior!!! It STOPS wireless activity completely...I don't see any wireless bar icon besides the battery icon on the front display. It almost seems like someone turned off the wireless part of the phone.

yesterday, we downloaded new firmware for 8821 phones. We will see what happens!!!!

chrso
Level 1
Level 1

Hi to all, i've got the same problem. I upgrade the last firmware and it was better during a week. After exactly one week, this problem occurs again. The phone disables wireless itself and it's impossible to reactivate it.

EDIT: We all need to downgrade the firmware version to the 11.0(3)SR4 ;(

I just found this on the firmware webpage

DEFERRAL ADVISORY NOTICE

Dear Cisco Customer,
Cisco engineering has identified at least one serious software issue with the release which you have selected that may affect your use of these software. Please review the Deferral notice below to determine if the issue(s) apply to your network. Deferred images are no longer be available for download. Customers are urged to upgrade to the recommended solution image or most current software version.

For more comprehensive information about what is included in this software, please refer to the Cisco software Release Notes, available from the Product Selector tool. From this page, select the product you are interested in. Release Notes are under General Information on the product page.

Software Type Software Affected Software Solution Comments
Affected
Release
Number(s)
Affected
Image(s)
Solution
Release
Number
Replacement
Image(s)
Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) Software 11.0(3)SR5 all images 11.0(3)SR4 all images This release has been deferred due to a secure storage access issue impacting WLAN configuration. As a result of this defect and action by Cisco, release 11.0(3)SR5 is no longer a recommended release for Cisco Wireless IP Phone 8821. Cisco suggests the following for all customers using the Cisco Wireless IP Phone 8821: Any customer who is looking to upgrade to 11.0(3)SR5 for their Cisco Wireless IP Phone 8821 should defer from using that release and upgrade their phones to that release which contains the fix for CSCvg46824. In case 8821 are already upgraded to SR5, there should be no concern or action needed. In scenario, if customers has already down loaded SR5, and want to continue with SR5 installation due to defects addressed, Cisco suggest following instructions for 8821 upgrade to SR5 firmware image. Recommendations: 1. Get 8821 phone on desired network, 2. Ensure desired phone profile is created on Call Manager and phone is provisioned as necessary 3. Upgrade device to firmware SR5 4. Ensure phone is on customer WiFi; re-provision as necessary 5. Reboot & Reset Phone to ensure there are no issue with phone boot up and registration. 6. Support Question For any other issues engage Cisco support team for the help. 7. Do not give new 8821 phone to an end user as it comes out of box and perform a remote update, 8. Ensure 8821 firmware is upgraded to SR5 before handing if off to an end user.

Reason for Deferral:
DDTS No(s):
CSCvg46824

Maintenance DDTS[These are defects that did not cause this advisory, however fixes are included in the solution]:
none

Disclaimer:

In order to increase network availability, Cisco recommends that you upgrade affected images with the suggested replacement software images. Cisco will discontinue manufacturing shipment of affected images. Any pending order will be substituted by the replacement software images.

PLEASE BE AWARE THAT FAILURE TO UPGRADE THE AFFECTED SOFTWARE MAY RESULT IN NETWORK DOWNTIME.

The terms and conditions that governed your rights and obligations and those of Cisco, with respect to the deferred software will apply to the replacement software.

after firmware upgrade, 8821s are doing better for me. There are still issues with roaming etc which we are trying to figure out!!! I would suggests you to have latest firmware and obviously you need to take a look into your wl configuration.

Thanks, exactly we were on testing the latest version 11.0(3)SR5 during a week and it's happening again... We have to downgrade to the 11.0(3)SR4 version apparently.

when upgraded 8821s to new firmware SR5, there were around 30 phones stopped working (mainly wl). we ended up going to each phone and re configured the wireless profile on them again.

We upgrade SR3 to SR5 and need to reconfigure phones manually before upgrading cause wireless was deactivated (just two 8821 in test).

To downgrade, same issue we need to reconfigure them manually before ;(

Have you heard anything new about 8821 phones? We have been continue to have issues like---roaming, calls dropping, phone losing WL connection hence lose the registration with UCM, rebooting by itself etc.We upgraded our WLC to new version, phones are running new firmware SR6!!!

Cisco asking us to move to 5GHz but that will not be possible until we spend thousands of dollars on more APs for coverage!!! So far, I am very disappointed with this model!!

we still have more than 1000 7925s which have been working good with 2.4GHz. Too bad I can't buy them anymore.

We're in 5Ghz and they still don't work. 90 Phone deployment. 7925 works like a charm. 

Well...we are not on 5GHz still running 2.4 but we have recently updated firmware on all 8821 phones to

sip8821.11-0-4-14. Since this change, things have been working good (better than before). We got TAC involved also made some tweaks on WLC. I would highly recommend you to call Cisco.