cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Call Manager 7.1.3 Unable to answer call on second line on 7962 when placing a call

m-laing
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I have configured Cisco 7962 IP Phone with several lines. I am having a problem with this scenario

When I am making a call on line 1 of the cisco 7962 and a call rings on the second line, if I try to answer line 2 it cuts off the call on line 1.

Can this situation be fixed?

Requirement

While initiating a call on line 1, should be able to answer incoming call on line 2 without disconnecting call on line1

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Does this happen to all phones and all phone models?

If you press answer softkey for the 2nd call does the active call drops? internal? external? both?

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

www.cisco.com/go/pdihelpdesk

HTH

java

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Does this happen to all phones and all phone models?

If you press answer softkey for the 2nd call does the active call drops? internal? external? both?

HTH

java

HTH

java

Hi

This happens for all phones deployed, Cisco CP-7942 and Cisco CP-7962 for internal and external calls.

Scenario

Model Phone CP-7962

Line 1 ext 1000

Line 2  ext 1001

Line 3 ext 1002

User selects Line 1 and dials a number, while dialing the number on line 1 a call comes in on the second line

If line 2 is selected to answer the call, once this line is selected it automatically drops the call on line 1

NB

Line1 call is in the ringing state and not answered

I have seen this before and it is expected behavior.  I could not figure out a work around for this.  I know what you are saying though, its more for admins who answer other lines from what I have seen in the past.   They are in the middle of placing a call or dialing the numbers and the phone is ringing.  They cant get to the line button to answer it if I remember correctly.

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Marsha,

Just to add-on to the great info from Java and TCAT (+5 points each my friends!)

This is expected behaviour in all IP Phone models with all CUCM versions. You would have to

be able to change the "Ring-Out" Softkey behaviour to keep line 1 active while intitiating a call

and still offer the "Answer" Softkey and this cannot be changed.

It kind of makes sense though...you have to make a decision....do I complete my 1st Outgoing call or

take the new Incoming call. You can't do both in this scenario

Cheers!

Huff

Please support CSC Helps Haiti

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-8895

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-8727

Hi

Thank you for your assistance, I really hoped that Cisco had a solution to this problem as currently other (Nortel) systems are able to do this.

Apart from the option of completing the outgoing call first before answering the incoming one is there other option available.

I have an operator who is using the Cisco 7962 phones and this is now a big challenge.

+5 for you Rob, you're absolutely right

Just read the scenario you mentioned, and the problem is that in order for this to work the call is put on hold when it's established.

But since the call is not yet connected you cannot put it on hold. As Tcat and Rob mentioned this is WAD.

HTH

java

HTH

java

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Marsha,

Just wanted to let you know I tested this out on some Nortel

phones here to verify. We still run a hybrid system with CSE1000 (Nortel)

In my testing with 2616's and 3904's you can put call 1 on Line 1 on Hold before

the far end has answered and go ahead and answer call 2. Funny thing is I've

worked on the Nortel system for many years and never knew of this capability. I'm not sure

of it's value......if you did this the first caller would get MOH when they picked up and would likely

hang up. But, just thought I'd let you know what I found.

Cheers!

Huff

Hi Rob

There are some features like this which are automatically assumed to be a feature support by CUCM that are not. This is one of them.

The use of this feature is a valid one and as such I would request that this be supported in the next release of the software as this is a critical to the efficient operator of operators within an organizaion.

Thanks for your research

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Marsha,

I totally agree that if this is available on "Legacy" systems and your users

find it helpful, then it is a very valid request.(I'm sorry if I didn't come across that way

You should talk to your Cisco SE and account rep. and ask them to file a PER (Product

Enhancement Request) on your behalf.

Cheers!

Rob

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: