Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Call Manager 8.5 and Lync 2013

Yannick Vranckx
Level 2
Level 2

Dear all,

Our customer wants to integrate their Lync 2013 to the Cisco Call Manager 8.5.

Out of some not so recent information i thought that if u want to use the enterprise voice of lync you'll have to make a sip trunk between Cisco Call Manager & Lync 2013.

I think that this still counts, i've also heard that there have been a moderate amount of changes between cucm 8.5 and cucm 8.6 on matters of sip.

I'm unable to find them though, also what does CUCI - Lync do?

Kr,

Yannick Vranckx

2 Replies 2

Manish Gogna
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Yannick,

There can be three types of integrations between Lync and Cisco Systems

1)      Direct SIP Trunk between Lync Server and Call Manager - In this, we can setup shared line between Cisco extensions and Lync extensions, and Sip trunk between the servers. Any Cisco phone / Lync client  can call each other vice-versa. Initial setup needs planning, but later it does not need much configurations in client side. The following document explains the configurations needed.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucilync/9/CUCI_BK_C0B36AC1_00_cisco-uc-integration-for-microsoft.pdf

2) CUCILYNC, which is like Cisco Jabber client but connects with Lync and Call Manager: Lync Client <----> CUCILYNC <-----> CUCM

In this option, a plug-in is installed in each client side. Although initial configurations is easier, each user needs to install the client and operate it. The below document explains the configuration and setup.
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucilync/9/CUCI_BK_C0545A41_00_cisco-uc-integration-for-microsoft.html

3) RCC (Remote Call Plugin) which just provides basic call control feature but for that you need Cisco Unified Presence Server: Lync Client <----> CUPS <-----> CUCM

HTH

Manish

Nice explanation Manish (+5).  Could you please spare some time to answer below queries regards to it  as well (for CUCM & CUP 8.6) , I will really appreciate your help on this.

Inter-domain Federation comes in which type of above integration ?

And if I have CUCM, CUP & Lync, then can I do federation or do I need some more application/server ?

And one more silly question: If I have CUP & Lync in-service only (not CUCM) at a time then still can I do  exchange availability information and Instant Messaging (IM) between jabber and lync users ?

Suresh