cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Call Manager: Device Pools Regions and Trunks?

Michael Ricci
Level 1
Level 1

I've been out of the Cisco VoIP  game for a while now and am getting back into it. I'm aware that Regions  are assigned to device pool, which are in turn assigned to Trunks to  determine what codec is used over that trunk.

I have, say, 2 Regions named Internal and External, and Region 1(in  internal) has a codec of G.711 set to itself and the codec it uses with  the external codec is G.729

Region External has a codec of G.711 set to itself and the codec it uses with the internal codec is G.729.

Suppose I save these regions and assign each Region to a device pool  (DP_Internal and DP_External) in this case, and assign the DP_External  to my inter cluster trunk, how does the trunk know what region to use?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

A region when created can be setup to have mappings to multiple regions, for instance "test" looks something like this:

The relationship section is important (note the regions not displayed use system default, which is determined by a service parameters for inter region codec default and intra region codec default).  No matter how many regions are listed in the region relationship mapping section when a call is placed from your ICT, the call will be routed based on the number dialed.  Depending on the number dialed it will route to where it should, say for instance phone A was dialed.  Call Manager looks at the device pool of phone A, to fine the region that is set.  If phone A is in region Boston, call manager looks up the mapping (Region Relationship) between what is set on the device pool > region setting, and the phone.  For this example we'll say the ICT is in the test region shown above because of the device pool region setting.  Call Manager looks up the region of the calling device which is the ICT and finds region test, then locates the called phone in region Boston.  Then to manually map out what Call Manager does, go to System > Region, find the ICT's region, in this case test, find the called phone's region, Boston, and the audio codec to the right is what is used.  In the case it's g.711.  If nothing was listed we would use the system default.  The default is set as a service parameter and usually calls within the same region, a device in the Boston region to another Boston region device would use g711 and default between regions will use g729.

In the same scenario, a call to a phone in region Default from the same ICT, would use g729 because the ICT is still in the test region, and the called party is in Default so the above image shows for Default (while looking at the Test region's setting) audio codec g.729.

To complicate things a little, the region mapping isn't strict but rather a maximum bandwidth that can be used.  If a call based on the region mapping above shows g.711 the call can setup as anything below the bandwidth of g.711 (64Kbps) so it could still be setup as g.729 if one or both devices ony support g.729.  You can ignore this part though for now.

Let me know if that's any clearer.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Christopher Graham
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

It seems like you have some confusion as to how regions work.  A region does not specify what coded is used over a specific trunk.  Rather, they dictate what codec is used between two endpoints.  Say you have an IP phone, and an ICT to another CUCM cluster.  The region configurations will tell CUCM what codec to use when the phone calls over the ICT.

So, in your case, the codec that is used will depend on what endpoint is initiating the call over the ICT.  If you have a call come in over a local H323 gateway, and you route that call over the ICT, then the region configuration between the gateway and the ICT will dictate the codec used.

Gateway is in DP1, Region1

ICT is in DP2, Region 2

If the region configuration between Region1 and Region2 is G729, then this is what will be used for this call.  Make sense?

Sort of.

The part I am getting hung up is how the Call Manager knows which region to use.

Suppose you have 2 DP's with 4 Regions in it each, Phone A is assigned DP1 and ICT1 is assigned to DP2. How does the DP in the ICT choose which endpoint to use? The Region is just a logical name, I guess this is where I am getting hung up at

Regions get assigned to device pools.  You can only assign one region to a device pool.  Within the region, you specify what codecs you would prefer to use within the region, and to other regions.  For example, you would more than likely want to use G711 (64kbps) within your headquarters, and G729 (8kbps) to remote locations.   This is configured in the region settings and you specify, as mentioned above, your codec preference to other regions.  In the above case, you would have two seperate regions (headquarters and a remote site) and two seperate device pools with the appropriate regions assigned.

So say you have DP with 4 regions attached to it that is assigned to an ICT, how does the ICT know which region to use?

A region when created can be setup to have mappings to multiple regions, for instance "test" looks something like this:

The relationship section is important (note the regions not displayed use system default, which is determined by a service parameters for inter region codec default and intra region codec default).  No matter how many regions are listed in the region relationship mapping section when a call is placed from your ICT, the call will be routed based on the number dialed.  Depending on the number dialed it will route to where it should, say for instance phone A was dialed.  Call Manager looks at the device pool of phone A, to fine the region that is set.  If phone A is in region Boston, call manager looks up the mapping (Region Relationship) between what is set on the device pool > region setting, and the phone.  For this example we'll say the ICT is in the test region shown above because of the device pool region setting.  Call Manager looks up the region of the calling device which is the ICT and finds region test, then locates the called phone in region Boston.  Then to manually map out what Call Manager does, go to System > Region, find the ICT's region, in this case test, find the called phone's region, Boston, and the audio codec to the right is what is used.  In the case it's g.711.  If nothing was listed we would use the system default.  The default is set as a service parameter and usually calls within the same region, a device in the Boston region to another Boston region device would use g711 and default between regions will use g729.

In the same scenario, a call to a phone in region Default from the same ICT, would use g729 because the ICT is still in the test region, and the called party is in Default so the above image shows for Default (while looking at the Test region's setting) audio codec g.729.

To complicate things a little, the region mapping isn't strict but rather a maximum bandwidth that can be used.  If a call based on the region mapping above shows g.711 the call can setup as anything below the bandwidth of g.711 (64Kbps) so it could still be setup as g.729 if one or both devices ony support g.729.  You can ignore this part though for now.

Let me know if that's any clearer.