cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco FXO port, connected to a paging system. Who provide the dialing tone?

george.feng
Level 1
Level 1

We have a  paging system not working. The setup is  like this: 

SCCP  phone-----CUCM-----SIP trunk------gateway 3845----FXO port 0/2/3---Paging system

So our tech uses a butt set (basically a POTS phone) to connect to gateway FXO port, and the paging system. No dial tone heard in both test. 

Finally we found the cable is disconnected between Cisco gateway (with FXO port) and paging system. 

when the system is working, from the debug (debug vpm) we found the dial tone is expected from  paging system by Cisco gateway, so I assume the dial tone is provided by paging system:  

May 15 21:02:48 UTC: htsp_process_event: [0/2/3, FXOLS_WAIT_DIAL_TONE, E_DSP_SIG_0110]fxols_disc_clear
May 15 21:02:48 UTC: htsp_timer_stop2
May 15 21:02:48 UTC: htsp_process_event: [0/2/3, FXOLS_WAIT_DIAL_TONE, E_HTSP_EVENT_TIMER]fxols_wait_dial_timer htsp_dial
May 15 21:02:48 UTC: htsp_process_event: [0/2/3, FXOLS_WAIT_DIAL_DONE, E_DSP_DIALING_DONE]fxols_wait_dial_done htsp_progress
May 15 21:02:48 UTC: htsp_timer - 350 msec
May 15 21:02:48 UTC: htsp_call_bridged invoked

my question is:

why when butt set connected to paging system, there is no dial tone heard?  In which case the paging system will provide dial tone? 

5 Replies 5

Gregory Brunn
Spotlight
Spotlight

Can you please provide the exact paging system and exact paging system device you are interfacing with. 

You will never get dial tone for the FXO port on the cisco gateway, this interface while labeled fxo is truely just where you plug in an FXO port so voltage would come from the carrier in this instance.  You would get dial tone if you plug into a FXS port, also just a silly question you know your butt set is good right?

shleets
Level 1
Level 1

Set the port as MGCP at the gateway. Build xlation with the attendant DN of the FXO port. Cross connect FXO to T/R of page adapter.  Make sure signaling is loop.  User dials xlation it will open talk path to page adapter.  If you have zones you may need to insert another

digit.

R0g22
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee
You cannot have a dial tone through FXO. Why are you testing dial tone off of a paging system ?
Paging system working requires the port going off-hook. That's it. If it a zone based paging system, it might require a additional DTMF post a cut-through.
Also, there is no restriction for you to use MGCP. You can use anything. GW to Paging system will still be POTS, always.

So I 100 percent have used a butt set to test and dial into zones to test. You don’t need mgcp and if there are zones you need to trigger I typically just a strip before .  and send the zone in paving number 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: