cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco gateway to Nortel CS1000 PRI issue

Scott Jones
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everyone--we're in the process of transitioning from a Nortel CS1000/Meridian based environment into Cisco CallManager.  Right now, we've got two sites left in the US that are still Nortel.  Recently, we've had a series of issues with people reporting static and poor call quality when calling from a Cisco phone to one of the Nortel sites.  I'm seeing slips on the T1 controller in the Cisco gateway, but i've seen those since I came into the environment (it was started about 8 months before I came to the organization), and this is the first time we've had reports like this.

Does anyone have any experience with integrating into a Nortel environment via a PRI (virtual PRI in the Nortel) and having issues like this?  Not sure what to look for since the slips have been present from day one...

9 Replies 9

Scott Jones
Level 1
Level 1

A quick update to this--we're still troubleshooting the issue.  We've replaced the physical cables between the Nortel backplane and the Cisco gateway, replaced the PRI card in the CS1000 unit, and replaced the entire physical Cisco gateway with a spare we had, but we're still having issues. 

Does anyone have any other ideas?

Post "show controllers T1" and "show network-clock".

Hey Paolo--appreciate the help.  Info is below:

T1 0/0/0 is up.

Applique type is Channelized T1

Cablelength is long 0db

No alarms detected.

alarm-trigger is not set

Soaking time: 3, Clearance time: 10

AIS State:Clear  LOS State:Clear  LOF State:Clear

Version info Firmware: 20100222, FPGA: 13, spm_count = 0

Framing is ESF, Line Code is B8ZS, Clock Source is Line.

CRC Threshold is 320. Reported from firmware  is 320.

Data in current interval (76 seconds elapsed):

0 Line Code Violations, 0 Path Code Violations

0 Slip Secs, 0 Fr Loss Secs, 0 Line Err Secs, 0 Degraded Mins

0 Errored Secs, 0 Bursty Err Secs, 0 Severely Err Secs, 0 Unavail Secs

Total Data (last 11 15 minute intervals):

0 Line Code Violations, 0 Path Code Violations,

0 Slip Secs, 0 Fr Loss Secs, 0 Line Err Secs, 0 Degraded Mins,

0 Errored Secs, 0 Bursty Err Secs, 0 Severely Err Secs, 0 Unavail Secs

WHVGW01#sh network-clock
  Network Clock Configuration
  ---------------------------
  Priority      Clock Source    Clock State     Clock Type

1          T1 0/0/0        GOOD            T1
    10          Backplane       GOOD            PLL

Current Primary Clock Source
  ---------------------------
  Priority      Clock Source    Clock State     Clock Type

1          T1 0/0/0        GOOD            T1

Circuit is perfect, issue is caused by something else.

You should check who hears static, Cisco or Nortel user, or both.

Excellent point--only people hearing the issue are the Cisco users...the Nortel users don't hear anything.  That part is consistent...

You can insert a digital testset in passtrough mode between Cisco and Nortel, and listen to some (test) calls. If noise is heard coming from Nortel side, that proves it's their problem that they have to fix.

That's a great idea...I'll have to work with my Nortel guy monday when he's back in the office.  Thanks for the idea.  I'll let you know how it works out...

Scott,

Did you ever figure out what the problem was? 

We've been running Nortel and Cisco for a couple of years now and Centurylink just upgraded the Nortel from 5.0 to 7.0.  Now we are experiencing what you describe at two of our hospitals.

Any help would be appreciated.

Dave

Scott Jones
Level 1
Level 1

Hey Dave. We're still verifying, but what I suspect was a bad Ethernet cable between the gateway and our core. Not sure why (machine-made cable that's been in place for a year), but the reports have been indicating improvement. If it changes, I'll make it a point to post another update.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: