Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Cisco IP Communicator and self IP address for the softphone

Hi all,

I installed on my computer the software Cisco IP Communicator. I thought that we can affect a specific IP address on the softphone (different from my IP address I 'm using for DATA) but I didn't find how to configure it.

I thought that the Cisco IP communicator would create a virtual Interface and I could give to this interface an IP address but it seems not be possible.

I'm quite surprised: Does it mean that, unless I have 2 networks adapters, I must use DATA and Voice on the same interface?

Thanks you by advance for your help

2 REPLIES

Re: Cisco IP Communicator and self IP address for the softphone

With IP Communicator, data and voice will use the same interface unless, as you said, you have more than one network adapter. You can however, provide QoS for voice in this scenario. Take a look at the Campus QoS Design section of the QoS SRND below. There are examples for classifying and marking IP Communicator traffic for proper QoS treatment.

http://www.cisco.com/application/pdf/en/us/guest/netsol/ns432/c649/ccmigration_09186a008049b062.pdf

Hope this helps. If so, please rate the post.

Brandon

Bronze

Re: Cisco IP Communicator and self IP address for the softphone

Cisco IP Communicator wont create virtual interface.. it will use your physical interface MAC address to register to CCM.

Long time ago, if you install at Laptop, laptop come with two MAC address, one for wireless and one for physical. You need to use wireless MAC for CCM. It is because the IP Communicator wont work if physical MAC used but you use wireless network.

Here is the link if you need it:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps5475/products_tech_note09186a008026d36f.shtml#install_ipcomm

Please rate the helpful post.

Ken

Views
Helpful
Replies