Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Cisco IP Phone 7940

Hello geniuses of the Cisco Forum,

I got a problem which I'm sure you can help me with. Currently I'm working at a company servicedesk that has Cisco IP Phones 7940 stationed on every computer. After personalizing, I noticed you can put a custom ringtone to your Cisco 7940 phone. Well after learning that the phones receive their files from a TFTP server, I tried to follow this guide, so I could retrieve every file that the Cisco 7940 requests, and put them on my own private TFTP server on my laptop, so that the Cisco 7940 gets its files from there, allowing me to add the custom ringtones.

http://tipsandtricks.nogoodatcoding.com/2008/06/hacking-cisco-7940-ip-phone.html

This is the guide that I followed. There is a step that says that after changing the TFTP server adress 1 of the Cisco 7940 phone to the IP adress of my TFTP server (Solarwinds in this case or TFTPD64), it should log everything that the CIsco 7940 requests from the server. However, it doesn't do that, which only makes it tougher for me to figure out what files are needed during the boot of the phone. I succeeded to retrieve some files from the TFTP server, but was not able to put files back.

Why go through all this trouble? Well, I don't have access to the original TFTP server so I tried finding a way around it. 

Hopefully I explained myself thoroughly and if somebody can help me or has any questions, feel free to comment :)

• IP Telephony
Everyone's tags (1)
Views
Helpful
Replies
This widget could not be displayed.